Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

djellis73
Regular Visitor

How do I refresh data in Power BI Desktop

I have built a model by creating a dataset from an excel file on my desktop. The data source correctly shows the location of the orginal file on my desktop. I have now added some additonal Data in the excel file how do I get this to update inthe the power BI dataset/model in Poer BI desktop

I have tried get data but that creates a new table. I have tried refreh but that appears to do nothing in this case, I have installed the personal gateway but cannot find where that is. All the documentatio I can find refers to the power BI service not the desktop, in production that would be Ok but for development I need to update the desktop.

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2

It is not clear if you are trying to refresh from PowerBI.com or in Power bi desktop. If desktop, then just click the refresh button. You can then republish the desktop file back to PowerBI.com (overwrite). If you are trying to do it at PowerBI.com, you first need to configure the gateway you have installed. It is configured in PowerBI.com. 

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-personal-gateway/

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.
san_jois
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi,

If you are using excel based data, then it is good to use tables instead of just columns and rows of data..

Basically you select your existing data, convert it to table (Home-Format as table) and name it

You then refer this name directly in your model as a table..

Whenever you update data, 'refresh' in pbi desktop and it should work

Hope this helps

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.