Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

carinat
Advocate I
Advocate I

How do I make my graps display dates instead of day numbers?

Hi all, I have a column chart with dates on the x-axis. I want to drill it down to day level for several months but when I do that, it accumulates days for different months. So the value of day 1 contains both that of May and of June. How do I instead of day numbers just show a date scale?

dayGraph.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Look at the axis well for that visual. Is it showing your date field as date only, or is it showing date hierarchy?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
carinat
Advocate I
Advocate I

I solved it myself by accident. It turned out that I couldn't have times in my date field as well (if I wanted to show dates in my charts and not numbers), so I calculated a new column with dates only and used that instead.

Okay, not solved. Now I have the same problem with data in another table. Does anyone know what the cause could be?

Can you please share more details about the problem you want to solve.

Cheenusing

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution and also give KUDOS !

Proud to be a Datanaut!

When I use my date columns on the x-axis of graphs and drill it down to day level, the axis shows day numbers instead of dates. That means that the scale also goes beyond what is possible for dates (see the x-axis continuing to 35). I also attached the graph at month level (it does indeed know that I have a time measure since it displays year, quarter, month correctly but when I drill to day level things go wrong. My date column and type looks like it should.

I need it to display dates because I don't want the value for May 1 and June 1 to accumulate at "1". Instead I want June 1st to come after May 31.

date column.pngdate format.pngtemp char.png

Look at the axis well for that visual. Is it showing your date field as date only, or is it showing date hierarchy?

Thanks! I was about to go insane. Did not know that that could be changed 🙂

Yeah it can be changed. Now the real question is, why is the hierarchy the default?

Probably because it seems fancy to beginners and then you don't need to make your own hierarchies (also just realized that you could do that) before getting started for real. But I agree that it would be better to make date default instead of hierarchy.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.