Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JJ_JJ
Frequent Visitor

How do I keep track of when data has been added to a query?

Hi,

We will use Power BI to show the current status of our product development, as e.g. status of the development process. To be able to check how this data is developing over time I will need to add new snapshots of our database to the existing data on a regular basis. My problem is that the data does not contain a time stamp for when the data was extracted from our database so I'm struggling to figure out which rows in the appended file contain data from which date. I was planning to use the Append button, but I can't figure out how to differentiate between the data from the different snapshots. Is there a way for me to use the original query metadata (e.g. created date) for this, or should I abandon the Append function all together and somehow instead link the different tables?

Later on I will also start fetching the data automatically, so I need to find a system that works also then.

Thanks for any insight!

4 REPLIES 4
garvicasas
Helper I
Helper I

which format comes your data from? i mean, if its a SQL you can get the data and refresh the upload each time you want, so Power Bi will add the news rows to the ones which are already there and implement the same changes you did to them.

At the moment we have to extract the data to an Excel and then manually add the data to Power BI. In the future we will use SQL.

But adding the rows is not really the main problem right now. I can do that manually with the append button for the moment. But how can I add a timestamp so that I know that row "x" was the case status this week, while row "y" was last week's status? I could add a numbering column to know which came first, but it's not really enough. I'd need to know which date the data was uploaded to Power BI since we might not keep a regular uploading schedule now when we do it manually.

why not add a column with a measure with today() funtion, so it would return you the day you added them?

i didn't try it, but if this doesn't work it will something related, so at least will be a guide.

today() returns the date of today the concern i have it's if the next day it will change to that (which i think it will) i will investigate, but this is a starter, so you can try ways related to it also.

I tried that, but it seems the today() function will update the value when I append the queries, which means they will have the same value. So at least the way I did it, it didn't work.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.