Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How do I import/update a MONTHLY SharePoint Excel file where there is a Conditional Column added ?

I have a SharePoint Excel file that needs to be updated/replaced monthly.

The columns are titled the same.

HOWEVER, I added a Conditional Column to the table in PBI Desktop called "Cellular Usage".

The Conditional Column is NOT part of the original and all other monthly reports...it has been added afterwards for conditional data.

When I open the pbix > Transform Data > select "Monthly Billing" table > Advanced Editor > replace file name > Close...

AdvQuery.JPGAdvQuery2.JPG

..the follow error appear:

AdvQuery3.JPG

When I Close & Applyz, the following error occurs during Refresh:

AdvQuery4.JPG

How can I update a monthly report if a Conditional Column has been added to the table "Monthly Billing" ?

CondCol.JPGCondCol2.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here was the problem.  When I originally imported the SharePoint Excel sheet, I removed ceertain columns from the report.  Later I added a column.  That step was not included in the current Advanced Query so the error appeared when I copied the monthly update witha new olumn.  So I edited the query to include the column and all I need to do now is ensure the report's columns are named correctly, save the old report and rename the new report as the data source.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

I don't think the error is caused by the conditional column, rather by one of the earlier steps. You may be making assumptions on column data types that are not supported by the data.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Could you elaborate on that insight ? 

The other method I tried and succeeded is:

6. Once column NAMES have been confirmed, select the whole table and copy
7. Paste into the Monthly Billing report file.
8. Go to PowerBI Desktop and open pbix file
9. Run Refresh
10. Upon Refresh completion, Save the file

I was hoping to change the file name in the Advanced Query Editor of the table would be faster.
11. After Save, Publish the pbix file

for testing remove the conditional column step and see if the query runs successfully.

I have been bitten by similar issues before.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Removed Conditional Column...same error.

error1.JPG

Excellent.  Keep removing steps until you identify the culprit.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Here was the problem.  When I originally imported the SharePoint Excel sheet, I removed ceertain columns from the report.  Later I added a column.  That step was not included in the current Advanced Query so the error appeared when I copied the monthly update witha new olumn.  So I edited the query to include the column and all I need to do now is ensure the report's columns are named correctly, save the old report and rename the new report as the data source.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.