Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How do I import my data with the formatting that is in Excel?

Hello,

I am importing a file from Excel which has different data stored in different types of formatting (dollars, whole numbers, percentages, etc). When I import this file into Power BI, the Data type only gets recognized as a decimal number or a whole number, and the format field is always listed as general. I have to go through each individual column and change the format to the correct type. Is there a way to make Power BI pull the data with the correct formatting?

Capture.PNG

1 REPLY 1
edhans
Super User
Super User

You can set the basic data type in Power Query - number (with decimals), or whole number, etc. but you still have to fix each field in Power BI when in the report view.

New to Power BI in APril 2019 (general release, was in beta for about 6 months before that) you can select multiple fields at once and set the format. Go to the Model View, select your fields, and your formats.

Model view has the be the one with the little star on it.

image.png

image.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.