Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ajnewbs23

How do I group the display of x-axis labels as shown

Hi

I have a bar chart with two x-axis columns - one a Year and one a Description, how do I make it more legible by grouping the labels by Year as shown in my second example;

My chartMy chartRequired x-axis displayRequired x-axis display

7 REPLIES 7
msangster
Frequent Visitor

While I assume this is no longer an issue for you at this point, I am posting this reply for others (like me) who have come to this post looking for a solution. 

Xiaoxin Sheng  has a workthrough for the suggestions above. See https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/How-to-split-X-axis-data-labels-into-two-lines/td-p/588674

Anonymous
Not applicable

Also you need to ensure the chart is set to sort by the field you want to group by.

v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi ajnewbs23 ,

Could you share your pbix file with some dummy data?

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Hi Jimmy

Thank you for your response - hopefully this will work - https://www.dropbox.com/s/avqqy26fevvkefy/Test%20Data%20Report.pbix?dl=0

Regards

mandy

Hi ajnewbs23,

Just delete quarter, month and day in the date hierarchy can't work. As a workaround, you can create a new [Year] column and drag the [Year] column to the stack chart and check if concatenate can work.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Vvelarde
Community Champion
Community Champion

@ajnewbs23

In Format of the Visual in X Axis Put Concatenate Labels to OFF.

Regards

Victor

Lima - Peru

Hi

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately setting the Concatenate Labels to OFF made no difference to my graph.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.