Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

ells
Helper II
Helper II

How do I get the name of the file into the Query in Power BI Designer

Hi,

so new to Power BI but have used Excel and SSIS to blast workbooks into Office 365 sites.

I need to create a standard Excel or Power BI Designer Template that can create a query based on either the current user or the name of the file.

Eacxh person will need their own unique data set and I though the easiest thing was to link it to the File name (based on their name) or onto their user ID.

They must only see their data and nobbody elses. Never doe this in the Power BI Designer before so all help appreciated and if you can expand to include directory names as well that would be usefull.

Many Thanks

E

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ells,

Couple things here. 

1) Building a tabular model and using that in the Designer (desktop) only works 1/2 way right now. You can connect to the Tabular model, but the relationships that you've built aren't recognized. This will apparently be resolved in the GA release on the 24th.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/powerbi/archive/2015/07/10/announcing-power-bi-general-availability-coming-j...

2) You don't need to download the AS connector for use in the Designer.

3) Are you planning on leveraging the Designer as the DataSet on the PowerBI site?

4) There is an AS Tabular direct connection from the PowerBI Site, and there is no additional modeling work needed.

- You can build your reports and dashboards on site

- Word of caution as it relates to the "roles" in SSAS. It only applies to the individual who is creating the reports / sharing dashboards. So if user A sees everything in the model, and shares a dashboard with User B (who should only see "x") - User B will see everything that User A does.

I haven't tested this out with the designer, but I would imagine the roles apply if the actual PIBX is passed around. But that really isn't a solution of "sharing a report"

- The Direct Connect to AS from the site does require the AS Connector Gateway.

There are a ton of different options, so any additional details would help steer you in the right direction...

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

ells,

Couple things here. 

1) Building a tabular model and using that in the Designer (desktop) only works 1/2 way right now. You can connect to the Tabular model, but the relationships that you've built aren't recognized. This will apparently be resolved in the GA release on the 24th.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/powerbi/archive/2015/07/10/announcing-power-bi-general-availability-coming-j...

2) You don't need to download the AS connector for use in the Designer.

3) Are you planning on leveraging the Designer as the DataSet on the PowerBI site?

4) There is an AS Tabular direct connection from the PowerBI Site, and there is no additional modeling work needed.

- You can build your reports and dashboards on site

- Word of caution as it relates to the "roles" in SSAS. It only applies to the individual who is creating the reports / sharing dashboards. So if user A sees everything in the model, and shares a dashboard with User B (who should only see "x") - User B will see everything that User A does.

I haven't tested this out with the designer, but I would imagine the roles apply if the actual PIBX is passed around. But that really isn't a solution of "sharing a report"

- The Direct Connect to AS from the site does require the AS Connector Gateway.

There are a ton of different options, so any additional details would help steer you in the right direction...

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
ashishrj
Power Participant
Power Participant

You can try importing data into SSAS Tabular model and create roles. Later you can pull data into Power BI Designer using SSAS tabular data modeling

Roles (SSAS Tabular)

SQL Server Analysis Services Tabular data in Power BI

Configure a Power BI Analysis Services Connector

Helpful resources

Announcements
March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

Fabric Partner Community

Microsoft Fabric Partner Community

Engage with the Fabric engineering team, hear of product updates, business opportunities, and resources in the Fabric Partner Community.