Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

KH11NDR
Helper IV
Helper IV

How do I get previous value from last month into a new column?

Hi Guys

How do I get previous value from last month into a new column?

DateCumulative  SalesPrevious Month **bleep** Sales 
01/06/2018100
01/07/20182010
01/08/20183020
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Anonymous
Not applicable

@KH11NDR here you go. Use the PARALLELPERIOD function to get the desired result. Challenge - Previous Month Sales.PNG

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

@KH11NDR Can you post screenshot of the final table where you are testing the solution, the list of values which go in it. Also are you using a calculated column or measure. I am using a measure.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @KH11NDR, In order to achive Lag(previous value) you need to follow below steps. 

Create two index column one starts with 0 name it as Index0 and other starts with 1 name it as Index1

Do left Join on same table on condition will be Maintable.Index0 = SelfJoinTable.Index1.

Expand the column and select the "previous value" column which will be ur Lag column.

Sample query:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WCkrMKlXSUTI0MlaK1QFxc0FcEzMzMNc7sygxD8g3UoqNBQA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Name = _t, Rank = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Name", type text}, {"Rank", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Changed Type", "Index", 0, 1),
    #"Added Index1" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Added Index", "Index.1", 1, 1),
    #"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Added Index1",{"Index"},#"Added Index1",{"Index.1"},"Added Index1",JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    #"Expanded Added Index1" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries", "Added Index1", {"Rank"}, {"Lag.Rank"}),
    #"Sorted Rows" = Table.Sort(#"Expanded Added Index1",{{"Index", Order.Ascending}}),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Sorted Rows",{"Index", "Index.1"})
in
    #"Removed Columns"

Output screesnshot:

temp.JPG 

And finally replace null with zero.

Hope above solution will help in your case.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Suman152

There ha to be an easier way for sure? Thanks Suman, but Power BI, Must have an easier way,.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@KH11NDR here you go. Use the PARALLELPERIOD function to get the desired result. Challenge - Previous Month Sales.PNG

@Anonymous

I'm still not getting any figures, I've added my date to a master calendar too.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@KH11NDR Check the format of the date field? The data set I used is pretty simple and straight forward. Here is a snap of my model. Could you send screenshots of your model, your calculations and final results.

Challenge - Previous Month Sales - 1.PNG

Previous month = CALCULATE(SUM(Merge1[Cumulative Revenue]),PARALLELPERIOD(Merge1[Date],-1,MONTH))

data model.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

@KH11NDR Can you post screenshot of the final table where you are testing the solution, the list of values which go in it. Also are you using a calculated column or measure. I am using a measure.

Changed it from Column to Measure and workd like a treat.

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.