Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Majesticzaz

How do I get more 10 GB data storage size of Power BI Pro

How do I get more 10 GB data storage size of Power BI Pro If I exceed the data storage limit size ? 

Is there anyway to get more ?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I believe at that point you may need to look into Premium. However, I believe that you might really just need to buy another Pro license and/or create an app workspace. The documentation kind of lends one to believe that capacity is actually aggregated across all users, but let's just say that it is not entirely clear.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-admin-manage-your-data-storage-in-power-bi

The relevant portion is:

Users and app workspaces have their own data capacities

• Free and Pro users have a maximum 10 GB data storage.
  • Pro users can create app workspaces, with a maximum 10 GB data storage each.

At the tenant level, total usage can’t exceed 10 GB per Pro user across all Pro users and app workspaces in the tenant.

So, the question is, if Pro users cannot have more than 10GB per user, then as stated in the first bullet and capacity is not aggregated, then there would be no need for the last line.

But, if it is aggregated and Pro users have 10GB of data storage in their "My Workspace" but can create App Workspaces that have a separate capacity from that 10GB, then the last line makes sense, because theoretically a single Pro user could create 5 app workspaces with 10GB each but as long as you had a total of 5 Pro licenses and you had 0 GB in the other 4, you would be good.

I actually believe it works the way I just described, it is aggregated capacity but that first bullet really bugs me.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I believe at that point you may need to look into Premium. However, I believe that you might really just need to buy another Pro license and/or create an app workspace. The documentation kind of lends one to believe that capacity is actually aggregated across all users, but let's just say that it is not entirely clear.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-admin-manage-your-data-storage-in-power-bi

The relevant portion is:

Users and app workspaces have their own data capacities

• Free and Pro users have a maximum 10 GB data storage.
  • Pro users can create app workspaces, with a maximum 10 GB data storage each.

At the tenant level, total usage can’t exceed 10 GB per Pro user across all Pro users and app workspaces in the tenant.

So, the question is, if Pro users cannot have more than 10GB per user, then as stated in the first bullet and capacity is not aggregated, then there would be no need for the last line.

But, if it is aggregated and Pro users have 10GB of data storage in their "My Workspace" but can create App Workspaces that have a separate capacity from that 10GB, then the last line makes sense, because theoretically a single Pro user could create 5 app workspaces with 10GB each but as long as you had a total of 5 Pro licenses and you had 0 GB in the other 4, you would be good.

I actually believe it works the way I just described, it is aggregated capacity but that first bullet really bugs me.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Regarding to your comment, my issue's been solved already.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.