Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

daniwill882
Frequent Visitor

How do I get geographical data from 2 datasets to interact with one another?

Hi there,

I'm currently creating a hotspot mapping dashboard, which identifies a hotspot area from crime data and then presents a breakdown of data which shows the issues in that specific area. To do so I am using the Arc GIS add in to create the hotspot map, with lat and long as data points, and then using the select multiple locations option to highlight a 'hot' area. I have several visualisations relating to the data in the same dataset which interact perfectly when a smaller area of the map is highlighted. 

I have an additional dataset with the address and lat/long of all the schools in the city and was hoping to use the 'card' visualisation to show how many schools are within the hot area when selected. So far, this visualisation fails to change when an area is selected.

How do I make a relationship between these two datasets to make this type of interaction work? I'd really appreciate any help you can give me.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
CahabaData
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

generically speaking: to link (join) 2 data sets there must be a field in both that will have an identical value - and further 1 of the data sets must have no repeating values.  If that doesn't exist then one must create that table to have a list of unique values and then link it to the two tables.

but I think what you want is to put the school records into the crime records so they are 1 table , they will all get mapped as data points - and then figure out a techique to identify a school data point so it has a different style display and stands out and doesn't display as just another crime point.  Assuming your table layouts are sufficiently similar - you can append one into the other - or both into a new table.

www.CahabaData.com

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
CahabaData
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

generically speaking: to link (join) 2 data sets there must be a field in both that will have an identical value - and further 1 of the data sets must have no repeating values.  If that doesn't exist then one must create that table to have a list of unique values and then link it to the two tables.

but I think what you want is to put the school records into the crime records so they are 1 table , they will all get mapped as data points - and then figure out a techique to identify a school data point so it has a different style display and stands out and doesn't display as just another crime point.  Assuming your table layouts are sufficiently similar - you can append one into the other - or both into a new table.

www.CahabaData.com

Thank you! This worked perfectly. I appended the two tables and added a column to state whether it was crime data or schools data, then made this the legend in the map.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.