Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jahall4
Frequent Visitor

How do I format the Gauge Visual to display a decimal value as a percentage (%)?

…like I would format the same value to display a certain number of decimals point. Using Direct Query so the model can’t be altered.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-micsh-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi jahall4,

We could also change the data type in the report view, in Report View, select the Gauge Visual, then choose the value in the Fields, under Modeling tab, there would also be the Data type available to modify:

24.PNG

As as you could see, if only for the column data, Gauge would just display the the sum of the column, so if you would like to have a percentage displayed, we need to create a measure ( filter some special data from the data range, then divide it with the total. Or, we need a slicer visual to help showing the proper precentage) and then put the measure into Gauge Visual.

Please reply back if any further assistance needed.

Regards

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-micsh-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi jahall4,

We could also change the data type in the report view, in Report View, select the Gauge Visual, then choose the value in the Fields, under Modeling tab, there would also be the Data type available to modify:

24.PNG

As as you could see, if only for the column data, Gauge would just display the the sum of the column, so if you would like to have a percentage displayed, we need to create a measure ( filter some special data from the data range, then divide it with the total. Or, we need a slicer visual to help showing the proper precentage) and then put the measure into Gauge Visual.

Please reply back if any further assistance needed.

Regards

Thanks Michael,

This was a "buger" to find. I kept looking for this as part of the Gauge Visual's properties since you can format there for decimal places. I guess I'm expecting too much continuity for such a young product.

Note: I think on the report this is the only way it can be done because we are using Direct Query

There does not seem to be any way to achieve this with a Direct Query. I hav ethe same issue with the Power BI gauge on a report connected LIVE to a multi-dimensional cube. The calculated measure in the cube is formated as "Percent" however

• The gauge shows this as a numeric value (e.g. 0.03 for 3%), despite the source models format
  • The properties on the modelling tab are not available to change thje format fo rthis attribute (as this is a LIVE query - the model is stored outside Power BI Desktop)
  • The gauge properties (still) do not allow formatting of the data as a % (only allows the font, units and number of decimal places to show)

Ideally the gauge picks up and uses the formatting defined on the multi-dimensional model for a live connection - currently the gauge does not do this.

There seems to be an issue with some built-in visualizations in Power BI when it comes to % measures in a SSAS MD Cube. i.e.:

• I have a calculation measure in a SSAS MD Cube that is configured with a format of "Percent"
  • When this measure is exposed on a Power BI table it correctly displays as a % value (e.g. 2.05%)
  • However when this measure is used on a Bar Chart, Column Chart, Gauge, etc. it's value is displayed as a decimal value (e.g. 0.0205), which is confusing for end-users / POwer BI consumers.

This issue is present in Power BI Desktop "March 2018" version as well as the March 2018 release of PBIRS (Power BI Report Server).

It means that in order to prevent confusing users I need to avoid using rich visualisations for % values and keep these corralled in either a table or a matrix viausalisation 😞

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@jahall4 In power bi destop under Modelling tab, highlight your value column and click on '%' icon under formatting.

Capture.png

The UI you have screen shot (best I can tell because of the pixelisation) is not avaible to me. Looks like maybe you are working in the model? Is your data source Direct Query?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.