Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Ricardo2018

How do I find seasonality (not based on time, weather, or other typical factors)

Hello,

I'm an Aviation Analyst for a major airport system in the United States. I've taken two classes on DAX (from Marco Russo) but still consider myself a neophyte to DAX and PowerBi.

I need help. I have time series data for commercial airline schedules. I have operations (departing or arriving flights) and seat capacity (think of it as an inventory of widgets for sale). My data is time series data that includes elements such as airline name, aircraft type, origin, destination and more.

Problem statement:

The two basic characteristics of my data is time series and quantity.

I wish to analyze airline data and find seasonality.

Challenge:

Seasonality is not necessarily based on seasons of the year (winter, spring, summer, fall), or weather. I can be based on economic activity for the city, country, region of the world, and other factors. It can also be created when airlines artificially constrain supply to move pricing.

Is there a way I can look at time series and quantity to identify seasonality?

Broad example:

I have a U.S carrier that flys to Australasia, and an Australasian carrier that flies to my city in the U.S. Since the service is limited, I can graph time series data and see that the U.S. carrier's seasonality is Nov - Mar and the Australasian carrier's seasonality is Dec - Jan. Even though the carriers fly very similar markets each seasonality is different. In this example service is limited so I can simply look and estimate it.

I can provide sample data if needed.

Your help is greatly appreciated. I would like to thank you in advance for your help.

Sincerely Richard2018

3 REPLIES 3
v-cherch-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Ricardo2018

You may try to create measure with RANKX Function (DAX) as requested.

Regards,

Cherie

Community Support Team _ Cherie Chen
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

How exactly does RANKX solve this problem?

Thank you! I'll hack at it and see how it goes.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.