Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Siva

How do I drill down in Power BI Desktop ?

Hi,

How do I drill down from one chart to another ?

For instance, If I click on one field in Chart 1, it should only show the data for the selected field in Chart 2.

Also, how do I link Chart/Table in Page 1 and Chart/Table in Page 2. For Instance, If I select the one particular series in Page 1 and it should show the data only the selected field in the chart in Page 2.

Thanks,

Siva

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

We had to make a few difficult trade-offs to get the visualization framework to a place where it was truly mobile friendly, open for 3rd party custom visualizations and API extensions moving forward. The visualization framework is now completed and should not change again. One of the trade-offs was temporary loss of drill down that you see right now. Our team is working rapidly to get drill down back and implemented in an enhanced manner as soon as possible. In our user studies, we learned few people actually knew that drill down even existed. We want to improve the discoverability, user experience, and capability.

We do have monthly releases. Please make sure that you keep Power BI Desktop updated. There are a lot of fantastic features coming soon.

Jen Underwood
Principal Program Manager, BI

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
ajanson
Advocate II
Advocate II

Hi Siva,

as andre said it is not supported, but you may want to try use feature like custom links on dashboard parts. I described it in following thread:  http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Can-a-dashboard-refer-to-another-dashboard/m-p/1714#M462

We had to make a few difficult trade-offs to get the visualization framework to a place where it was truly mobile friendly, open for 3rd party custom visualizations and API extensions moving forward. The visualization framework is now completed and should not change again. One of the trade-offs was temporary loss of drill down that you see right now. Our team is working rapidly to get drill down back and implemented in an enhanced manner as soon as possible. In our user studies, we learned few people actually knew that drill down even existed. We want to improve the discoverability, user experience, and capability.

We do have monthly releases. Please make sure that you keep Power BI Desktop updated. There are a lot of fantastic features coming soon.

Jen Underwood
Principal Program Manager, BI

When is the scheduled relase where the Drill Downs will be available in Power BI Desktop?

According to this source, the first set of capabilities for drill down are back in the report canvas! I think it's a short matter of time for drill down to arrive at the desktop environment.

Is there any update on this? Any estimation when it will be released?

@Idit Yes you can drill down. see here

If you mean, "drill to a table/different report" - there is no functionality to do that yet. That could be achieved using dashboard to reports in the Service, but nothing like that exists in the Report section by itself.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

It sounds based on your original post that you're actually interested in the cross-filtering action between multiple visualizations in a report page.

Read about cross-filtering. Read about editing visual interactions.

I can able to see the drill down/up option visible in Reports but it is not visible when we pin the report visual to dasboard.

Is there any way to enable the drill down/up option in dashboard as well.

What I am looking for is being able to do in Power BI Desktop what is currently available in Power View where I can select Matrix as my visualization and then "enable drilldown".

andre
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Drill down is temporarily not supported, please follow this link for details.  It's supposed to be back soon though

https://support.powerbi.com/knowledgebase/articles/663517-converting-your-reports-to-the-new-report-...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.