Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kfschaefer
Helper IV
Helper IV

How do I change owners for Power Bi Report

Is there a way to change owners of BI solution.  I am a contractor who created a dashboard and I was wondering how I turn over the project to my client so they can continue to upgrade the dashboards with not just data changes but architect changes.

Thanks,

K

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
kcantor
Community Champion
Community Champion

I have passed ownership by supplying the pbix file and having a coworker resave it. Of course she had access to the datasources through her credentials in Windows.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
kcantor
Community Champion
Community Champion

I have passed ownership by supplying the pbix file and having a coworker resave it. Of course she had access to the datasources through her credentials in Windows.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

@kfschaefer You've probalby already figured this out but you're better off creating a Group workspace initially with the client, then you can pass over the base PBIX, but that way you don't lose shared content or have to re-do things.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi-I am very new to Powerbi so please bear with me.

When you say pass over the PBIX - how does that work?

Thanks,

Andrea

@Anonymous The PBIX file is just the Desktop file. You can email this file to anyone (pass over). The difference here is that any configurations to datasources will most likely need to be updated, and the user would need access to them. The Desktop is a development tool, not a sharing one.

In this discussion, we are talking about the sharing done in the Service.

A Group workspace (App workspace now) is the preferred method to share content with end users.

To highligh another area, if you are also a member in the workspace that can edit and you create or save the report as a different one it should retain the credentials set in the original in terms of data refresh. If there are errors, you would need to either have access to the datasources and update with your credentials, or have access to use the data sources that are being used in the Enterprise Gateway. This assumes hopefully that the original deployed report to an App workspace is not using a personal gateway...

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@kfschaefer Did you build everything in your personal workspace?..

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.