Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BrunoBarbosa
Regular Visitor

How do I calculate "calculated rows" in power BI

Hi all,

I have a dataset displaying the P&L for different periods/types.

The columns show the values for: Previous Year, Actuals, Forecast, Dec Forecast, etc.

Rows show the accounts: Sales, Margin, etc.

I am trying to display this information on a Matrix Visualization.

What we would like to do is for example to use as rows Sales, Margin and "create" a third row with a measure of the margin percentage for each one of the scenarios, which are displayed in columns. The idea is that this calculation would vary according to any filters that are applied.

Example:

Accounts   |      Previous Year      |          Actuals          |        Forecast       |    Dec Forecast

Sales                    100                                100                          100                     100

GM                        20                                  30                            40                       55

% GM                   20%                              30%                        40%                    55%

Does anyone have an idea how to do it or if it is possible to be done?

Thank you,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @BrunoBarbosa,

A normal solution is that you may need to create different measures for Previous Year Sales, Previous Year GM, Previous Year %GM, Actuals Sales, Actuals GM, etc.

And you also need to create a table with a column called "Accounts Type" contains values "Sales", "GM", "%GM", and create another table with a column called "periods/types" contains values Previous Year, Actuals, Forecast, Dec Forecast, etc.

Then, you can make use of IF and SWITCH Function (DAX) to create a new measure to choose what value should be return depend on current values of "periods/types" and "Accounts Type", and show it on the Value field of the Matrix visual, with "periods/types" column set on Row field, and "Accounts Type" column set on Column field.

It's a little complex, but it could be done.Smiley Happy

Regards

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
bajimmy1983
Helper V
Helper V

@BrunoBarbosa , How are you? Como é que vai? Heheh! I am from Brazil. Don't know if you are, too. 

Since last year I was trying to accomplish the same thing (I think), but I could not find this post before.

Today I got back to this issue (challenge) and saw this post with a way to do so. I have simulated a very small dataset and then tried to apply the suggestions, but in my case I did not create other tables. This is the reason I am posting my files here today!

I simply added new lines to my dataset (just to have this line) in order to be possible to use DAX. I advance that in case you cannot add physical lines in the original dataset, I think you could then create another dataset just with the lines (eg: Revenue / Billings, Compensation / Revenue as I created) and date columns and then append to original dataset using Power Query, for example. 

One Drive Linkhttps://1drv.ms/f/s!Aq2_y0xKTrAvgqQaf7PIGkZVQYLFwQ

If you have any problem with download, please let me know.

I hope this can help others, too. 

Thanks and cheers,

Jimmy

Jaderson Almeida
Business Coordinator
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @BrunoBarbosa,

A normal solution is that you may need to create different measures for Previous Year Sales, Previous Year GM, Previous Year %GM, Actuals Sales, Actuals GM, etc.

And you also need to create a table with a column called "Accounts Type" contains values "Sales", "GM", "%GM", and create another table with a column called "periods/types" contains values Previous Year, Actuals, Forecast, Dec Forecast, etc.

Then, you can make use of IF and SWITCH Function (DAX) to create a new measure to choose what value should be return depend on current values of "periods/types" and "Accounts Type", and show it on the Value field of the Matrix visual, with "periods/types" column set on Row field, and "Accounts Type" column set on Column field.

It's a little complex, but it could be done.Smiley Happy

Regards

parry2k
Super User
Super User

Here is one interesting link and can help you. It is not direct solution to your question but get you started

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Create-abberanding-total/td-p/115909

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.