Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Rck7
Helper II
Helper II

How do I calculate average Response Time and Resolution Time ?

Hello Friends,

I have an Issue Table, with IssueID, IssueDate, StartDate , Resolved Date as Columns. I would like to calculate the a) the average First response time(in hours), b) average re-solution time(in hours) for the dates selected on my slicer.

Attached is a glimpse of my Issue Table, where Issue Date - is the Issue created date, Start Date- is the date an Issue has been taken/first responded by a user, Resolved Date- is the date where an Issue is closed/re-solved by the User. I have tried several measures but unable to find the apprpriate solution in hours. Kindly, help me with your suggestions. 

4-26-2018 10-01-41 AM.png

I would like to get my Result like below:
hd.png

Any help would be very much appreciated.
Thank you.  

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
zenmemo
Helper I
Helper I

Hi @Rck7, is this what you're looking for?

Average Response Time = DATEDIFF(StartDate,ResolvedDate,HOUR)

View solution in original post

@Rck7Now if you're selecting averaging the response/resolution times in conjunction with those measures, that should do it. See sample below. Otherwise, if you attach your file perhaps, I or someonelse can look at what else is causing it.

response and resolution times.JPG

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
zenmemo
Helper I
Helper I

Hi @Rck7, is this what you're looking for?

Average Response Time = DATEDIFF(StartDate,ResolvedDate,HOUR)

@zenmemo  Thanks for the help. Additionally, is there a measure to  calculate Average Resolution speed from my table data? 
for Average Response time =  DATEDIFF(IssueDate,StartDate,HOUR) and 
for Average Resolution Time, is it DATEDIFF(StartDate,ResolvedDate,HOUR) ?

Thank you. 

@Rck7

Perhaps I'm oversimplifying it but would an averagex function work?

That is,

AVERAGEX(Table Name,IssueDate,StartDate,HOUR))

@zenmemo Thank you for replying.  Well, I have created the fowllowing two formulaes for my columns in my table:

1) First Response Time(column) = DATEDIFF (Issues[IssueDate],Issues[StartDate],HOUR)
2)Resolution Time (column) = DATEDIFF(Issues[StartDate],Issues[ResolvedDate],HOUR) 

The result I am getting is as below, which I believe is wrong compared to the graph(i.e. result posted in my Question)
2.png

I am not very sure how can I calculate average response time(in hours) and average resolution(in hours). 
What do you think about this -> Average Response time = Toal time taken(in hrs) to send the first response / number of Issues whose first response were sent ? for the selected date period. 
Please let me know about your thoughts. 
Thank you. 

@Rck7, is the new chart wrong because the data is summing the column rather than averaging?

@zenmemo Nope. I am not sure if my measures are correct? 

@Rck7Now if you're selecting averaging the response/resolution times in conjunction with those measures, that should do it. See sample below. Otherwise, if you attach your file perhaps, I or someonelse can look at what else is causing it.

response and resolution times.JPG

HI @zenmemo
When I  use the DATEDIFF function to calculate the Response Time I am getting the result as 0:00 having my Data Format as 13:30(H:mm) as shown in the below images:

1.png2.png

Instead, I am using, 
1. Response Time = Issues[IssueDate] - Issues[StartDate] for calculating RT values for my column. 
2. Resolution Speed = Issues[ResolvedDate] - Issues[StartDate] for calculating RS values for my column.
For calculating Averages, I created the following measures, 
Avg RS = CALCULATE(AVERAGE(Issues[Resolution Speed]), ALLSELECTED(Issues[IssueDate]))
Avg RT = CALCULATE(AVERAGE(Issues[Response Time]), ALLSELECTED(Issues[IssueDate]))

The result Graph that I am getting is:

3.png

What are your thoughts on it? 

Kindly, let me know.
Thanks. 

For the average measures, have you considered changing the data type to whole numbers?

@zenmemo No, I am using  DateTime as the Datatype for my columns and calculating the average of my columns(as mentioned ear;ier). 
Below, is the format that I am using for my columns:
2.png 

Thanks. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.