Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MarkPendragon
Regular Visitor

How do I calculate a profit ratio from 2 rows in a matrix table ?

Hi, 

I have a matrix table with a column which lists the accounting lines and a column(s) for the values by month.

How do I calculate a ratio. Ie Gross per Unit sold for example ?

I have searched for guidance on DIVIDE, RELATED, SUMX etc but am lost.

In simple terms   DIVIDE([Accounts Line]  where [Accounts Line]="Sales", [Accounts Line] where [Accounts Line]="Units Sold"

I am sure this is so simple, but I am struggling to find the correct syntax. It's just one table. So no cross table linking required.

Thanks

Mark

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
kcantor
Community Champion
Community Champion

@MarkPendragon

I would suggest writing helper measures. 

Calculate your sales lines using CALCULATE with a [Account Line] = "Sales" and name the measure Sales. Calculate your Units Sold lines the same way and call that Units. Then do a divide with the measures.

=DIVIDE([Sales],[Units])

On the up side of this you can always find the source of issues and it is easier to troubleshoot the simple measures as oppsed to complex calculations with all of the logic built in.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
kcantor
Community Champion
Community Champion

@MarkPendragon

I would suggest writing helper measures. 

Calculate your sales lines using CALCULATE with a [Account Line] = "Sales" and name the measure Sales. Calculate your Units Sold lines the same way and call that Units. Then do a divide with the measures.

=DIVIDE([Sales],[Units])

On the up side of this you can always find the source of issues and it is easier to troubleshoot the simple measures as oppsed to complex calculations with all of the logic built in.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

MarkPendragon
Regular Visitor

BICapture.JPGHere is the table, I have removed the financial month values. Seeing as I have an index column, in simple terms..... where table is Index1. if value = 1 / if value = 15

I don't know exaclty if this is what you want but you could try a new Meassure with 'Calculate SUM' as follows

Ratio = (Calculate ( SUM(TableName[FinancialMonthValueColumnName]), Filter(TableName, TableName[Index1] =1)
             /  

(Calculate ( SUM(TableName[FinancialMonthValueColumnName]), Filter(TableName, TableName[Index1] =15)

Just change table names with yours

Hope this helps 

Hi,

Thank you for the formula, it certainly calculates as I expected. Ideally I wanted it in the same table, but realised I have to create another matrix with just that measure in and the same column headings.

Appreciate your guidance.

Thanks

Mark

GeraSanz11
Frequent Visitor

Maybe a screenshot of your table could help 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.