Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

andrewhann
Helper II
Helper II

How do I buy a licence

I have a free trial that runs out in 17 days and I want to buy a Pro Licence ( as I am going on holiday when the trial expires).

I can't see any way of doing this..?

Could someone please help with a step-by-step guide to buying a licence..?

9 REPLIES 9
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @andrewhann,

Have you resolved your problem? If so, would you please kindly mark the helpful reply as an answer or sharing your solution?

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Not entirely.

I have now set up an O365 admin account to purchase licences but this forces a different domain name which I cannot share dashboards to and requires the setup of a new enterprise gateway.

It also means that I will lose the three 12-month extended trials I currently have.

This all seems way too compicated when I am willing and able to purchase a number of licences.

Hi @andrewhann,

Yes. If your organization doesn't use O365 before, and now, you have created a new O365 tenant, the domain will be different. And now, to use the Power BI Pro content, you have to use the new account instead of the 12-month extended trial.

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Well that's a real pain - as we have only 6 or 7 users and three currently have extended trials.

I know the price is relatively small but I now need three futher licences that were previously covered for the next 12 months.

Hi @andrewhann,

'I now need three futher licences that were previously covered for the next 12 months'

Do you mean you want to use some Pro licenses and some extended Pro trail together in your organization?

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

Yes.

We have been using Power BI on a trial basis for a number of months - so three of us have extended trial licences.

We are now rolling it out to the rest of the management team whose initial trial periods have now ended but do not qualify for an extended trial licence.

I have purchased a futher 5 licences but these are under a different/new domain name via a new O365 admin account.

I have therefore either to lose the free licences (and set up a new gateway and re-create all existing dashboards) or find someway to add existing users on the old domain name (ie our company outlook account) to the new paid domain name.

Surely Microsoft could allow individual users to purchase indiviual licences...

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @andrewhann,

Power BI Pro account is hosted by O365 tenant. You can purchase Power BI Pro for your organization through the Office 365 admin center. Once you have the subscription, you can assign Power BI Pro licenses to your users. If you just use a free account for Pro trial and your organization doesn't use O365 before, you will need to create new O365 tenant.

Reference:

Purchase subscription in Office 365

Office 365: Minimum Edition Requirements to support all Pro features

How Do I Purchase The Power BI Pro Version?

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

@v-yulgu-msft

Suppose my reports are currently publised to this account name@xyz.com (free pro trial)  (xyz.com is my company domain)

Now, I want to buy a license for this same account, but the ID that gets created looks something like this:

name@xyz.onmicrosoft.com

After account creation, I update my domain name to xyz.com by updating the same eon 0365 portal.

So, will this link the new account to the existing account which has all the reports?

TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey,

a step-by-step guide with screenshots would exceed my time unfortunately, even if  buying Power BI is simple.

You have to consider the following:

Are you a single person, that needs access to the Power BI service leveraging Pro features?

Yes - great

No - you should consider if your organization is already on or on its move to O365 and you should contact the O365 admin of your organization.

You need an O365 account (it's free), go to the prodcut catalog and add the Power BI Pro licence - done.

Hope this gets you started

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.