cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
difaturoti Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

How do I break down one large table into a group of tables (database)?

Is there a table analyzer wizard tool in Power BI similar to the tool in Access that breaks down one large table into many tables in order to reduce redundacy and improve consistency?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
v-yulgu-msft Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: How do I break down one large table into a group of tables (database)?

Hi @difaturoti,

There is no direct way to break down one large table into multiple relational small tables in Power BI. As hthota said, you may need to duplicate the source table in Query Editor mode, then, filter rows and remove unnecessary columns in duplicated tables. After that, you also need to establish relationship between them manually.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
hthota Member

Yes, we can break the single table into multiple tables. But it becomes complex to make relationship among them. Please check it once.

Frequent Visitor

How do you so? I cannot find any material on line on how to proceed.

hthota Member

In Power Bi Desktop. Go to Edit Queries and Right click on the table create reference table and delete the unrequired columns in the reference table.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for responding. I would like to create a relational database from the large table, are you saying I can do that on Power BI?

v-yulgu-msft Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Hi @difaturoti,

There is no direct way to break down one large table into multiple relational small tables in Power BI. As hthota said, you may need to duplicate the source table in Query Editor mode, then, filter rows and remove unnecessary columns in duplicated tables. After that, you also need to establish relationship between them manually.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
October 2019 Community Highlights

October 2019 Community Highlights

October was a busy month in the community. Read the recap article to learn about some of the events and content.

New Badges

Incoming: New and Improved Badges

Exciting news: We've given our badges an overhaul and added brand news ones.

Ask Amir Anything

Exclusive LIVE Community Event No. 2 – Ask Amir Anything

Next in our Triple A series: Ask Amir Netz questions about the latest updates, features and future.

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Experience a limitless analytics service built to ingest, prep, manage, and serve data for immediate use in Power BI.

Users Online
Currently online: 452 members 4,444 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: