Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How do I append the results of multiple filters for the same table?

Hello guys, I am having an issue with some dynamic filtering on a table, and I am asking for your help to make this work.

So here is the problem described:

I have a Table A, for which I am applying 2 different filtering measures:

Measure 1 = Calculate(DistinctCount(Table A [col X], Filter(Table A, expression 1)));

Measure 2 = Calculate(DistinctCount(Table A [col X], Filter(Table A, expression 2)));

What I would like to do:

Measure 3 = Calculate(DistinctCount(Table A [col X], Append(Filter 1 Result, Filter 2 Result)); - or something like this.

The reason I want to do this:

I have to count the distinct value from both of the result sets and I cannot reunite the logic inside expression 1 and 2, and I am trying to rule out rows that could appear as a result for both expressions.

Am I overthinking something, or is there no way? If there is, can anyone suggest one please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-chuncz-msft thank you for looking into my matters!

In the end I managed to get a solution to my problem. I had to use a function I've never used before, but it could be useful to anybody out there so I'm going to explain what I did:

I took the results from the two filterings and I assigned them to a VAR each using the CALCULATETABLE function. I then used the COUNTROWS function on a DISTINCT of the two VARs' UNION. It worked like a charm! 

I hope this comes in handy to anyone out there! Smiley Very Happy

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous,

It seems that you may simply use the logical OR operator (||).

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-chuncz-msft, it would be really cool for it to be that easy, but the problem is that the 2 expressions are pointed at 2 different contexts of the same table:

M1's filter: Filter(All(Table A), expression 1)));

M2's filter: Filter(Table A, expression 2)));

Which means that for the expression 1 and 2, I cannot use a simple OR, because the ALL refers to the whole table, whereas the second refers to the selected values based on the filters set to a report level.

Or is there a way to implement an OR statement prior to that?

@Anonymous,

You may add UNION Function.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-chuncz-msft thank you for looking into my matters!

In the end I managed to get a solution to my problem. I had to use a function I've never used before, but it could be useful to anybody out there so I'm going to explain what I did:

I took the results from the two filterings and I assigned them to a VAR each using the CALCULATETABLE function. I then used the COUNTROWS function on a DISTINCT of the two VARs' UNION. It worked like a charm! 

I hope this comes in handy to anyone out there! Smiley Very Happy

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.