Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

carlosDash
Advocate V
Advocate V

How do I add parameters to the report "Slicer" visualization?

I need to create parameters that I can use to query different date ranges from a massive SQL database. I understand parameter creation (create something like DateBegin, DateEnd, set type to "Date" etc.) but I'm unsure how to actually use them. For example, if I choose the "Slicer" visualization and add an existing "Date"-type column, it automatically gives me a date picker.

Can I do the same with parameters (set them to the "Slicer"-visual in the "Report"-view) or do I have to save the file as a template and prompt the user for the dates every time they open the file? In other words, can I set the parameter values from within the "Reports"-view using a visualization?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @carlosDash,

As far as I know, the value of the Query Parameters can only be modified:

• By Edit Parameters.
  • Within Query Editor.
  • When using Templates.

It is not possible to reference the Query Parameter to a visualization on the report, then modify its value with that visualization.Smiley Happy

Regards

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @carlosDash,

As far as I know, the value of the Query Parameters can only be modified:

• By Edit Parameters.
  • Within Query Editor.
  • When using Templates.

It is not possible to reference the Query Parameter to a visualization on the report, then modify its value with that visualization.Smiley Happy

Regards

Now that more than a year has passed, is this still not possible or has this been updated?

Thanks for the reply @v-ljerr-msft Smiley Happy. It's unfortunate that parameters can't applied to visualizations. 

I already discussed this in another topic of mine but would you also agree that it's not possible to use Power BI parameters within SQL queries? I was hoping to build a dynamic SQL query using parameters & templates (opening Power BI file asks for start and end dates and passes them along to the SQL statement) but I'm not sure if it's possible.

Hi @carlosDash,

You should be able to use Power BI query parameters within SQL queries. For more details about how to do it, you can refer to this article(in scenario 1, use case 2).Smiley Happy

Regards

Frnds,

I've got four drop downs in my report

1. Country

2. State

3. City

4 Store

the navigation is working fine, but I've a requirement to take this to next level i.e. in each drop down I've option to select either one or all, now once the selection is made, I want to use this as a input parameter for a stored procedure which resides in my sql server database.

Is this possible

If yes then how

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.