Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

EdEvetts
Helper II
Helper II

How could I extract location name from a text field

Hi 

in my transaction table I have a payee field that holds information about the organisation and location of a transaction.  

Payee

Tesco Stores Brighton B1 GB

Pret a Manger London SW1 GB

Ravello London SW1 GB

I would like to be able to extract the location only eg Brighton, London, so I can plot this information on a map. 

Is there any method for doing this in Power BI?

thanks Ed

10 REPLIES 10
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@EdEvetts - Here a much better "M" way. The trick is the ability to reverse the string in M versus not having that ability in DAX. 

Create a blank query and paste this in:

let
    fnUglyStringBeGone = (MyBigFatZombieString) =>

let

MyBigFatZombieList = Text.ToList(MyBigFatZombieString),
    MyBigFatZombieCrossEyedList = List.Reverse(MyBigFatZombieList),
    MyBigFatZombieCrossEyedString = Text.Combine(MyBigFatZombieCrossEyedList),
    MyShorterBigFatZombieCrossEyedString = Text.End(MyBigFatZombieCrossEyedString ,Text.Length(MyBigFatZombieCrossEyedString ) - Text.PositionOf(MyBigFatZombieCrossEyedString," ") -1 ),
    MyEvenShorterBigFatZombieCrossEyedString = Text.End(MyShorterBigFatZombieCrossEyedString ,Text.Length(MyShorterBigFatZombieCrossEyedString ) - Text.PositionOf(MyShorterBigFatZombieCrossEyedString ," ") -1 ),
    MyCrossEyedLocationString = Text.Start(MyEvenShorterBigFatZombieCrossEyedString,Text.PositionOf(MyEvenShorterBigFatZombieCrossEyedString," ")),
    MyCrossEyedLocationList = Text.ToList(MyCrossEyedLocationString),
    MyLocationList = List.Reverse(MyCrossEyedLocationList),
    MyLocationString = Text.Combine(MyLocationList)
in

MyLocationString
in
    fnUglyStringBeGone

I then added this custom column called "Location" to my "StringSadnessAndMisery" table, which only contains a single column [StringSadnessAndMisery].

=fnUglyStringBeGone([StringSadnessAndMisery])

This will work as long as your Location sits in between the 3rd delimiter from the end and the 2nd delimiter from the end. In other words, you always have 2 spaces after the actual location you are trying to identify.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Actually, in order to extract the 3rd last element in your text-string, you simply need to add a column with this formula in it:

List.First(List.LastN(Text.Split([Payee], " "), 3))

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Thanks @Greg_Deckler and @ImkeF

Indeed an ugly set of data and to make things worse, the name of the location isnt always in the same place in the text string, I was wondering if you could have some form of lookup list that recognised words in a text string and selected these out? I think I saw you could use dictionaries or lists in Python to do this. I then wondered about splitting as I think is contained in @ImkeF solution. 

Really appreciate your help, I shall have a go with your solutions and see what I can do

thanks Ed

Yes, this sounds good, but will be slow if we need to lookup for combinations like "Great Yarmouth" for example (as it would be split as well if using my method above - so you would need to iterate using Text.Contains instead). It is also error-prone due to misspelling.

How about using the postcode as a lookup-element instead? Or is it also international adresses?

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Its mainly UK addresses and I could try to use the postcode, but its not always shown and never complete. I think I am going to have to concede defeat on this venture, but thanks for the code it will be useful in other projects

thanks

Ed

You could give this a try (copy this code - open the advanced editor and paste everyting in - replacing the existing code):

let
    Source0 = Web.Page(Web.Contents("https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_postcode_districts_in_the_United_Kingdom")),
    Data1 = Source0{1}[Data],
    #"Changed Type0" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Data1,{{"Postcode area", type text}, {"Postcode districts", type text}, {"Post town", type text}, {"Former postal county", type text}}),
    #"Added Custom0" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type0", "Custom", each Text.Split([Postcode districts], ",")),
    #"Expanded Custom0" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Added Custom0", "Custom"),
    #"Cleaned Text0" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Expanded Custom0",{{"Custom", Text.Clean}}),
    #"Trimmed Text0" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Cleaned Text0",{{"Custom", Text.Trim}}),
    #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Trimmed Text0", "First3", each Text.Start([Custom],3)),
    Postcodes = Table.Group(#"Added Custom1", {"First3"}, {{"Count", each List.Min([Post town]), type text}}),

Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WCkktTs5XCC7JL0otVnAqykzPKMnPU3AyVHB3UorViVYKKEotUUhU8E3MS08tUvDJz0sBSgeHw+WDEstSc3Lyscj4JRaXVIJMKgYZjlBgBFYQCwA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Payee = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Payee", type text}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each Text.Split([Payee], " ")),
    #"Expanded Custom" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Added Custom", "Custom"),
    #"Added Index1" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Expanded Custom", "Index.1", 0, 1),
    #"Trimmed Text" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Added Index1",{{"Custom", Text.Trim}}),
    #"Cleaned Text" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Trimmed Text",{{"Custom", Text.Clean}}),
    #"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Cleaned Text",{"Custom"},Postcodes,{"First3"},"NewColumn",JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    #"Expanded NewColumn1" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries", "NewColumn", {"Count"}, {"Count"}),
    #"Sorted Rows" = Table.Buffer(Table.Sort(#"Expanded NewColumn1",{{"Index.1", Order.Ascending}})),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Sorted Rows", {"Payee"}, {{"City", each List.Max([Count]), type text}}),
    CheckIfThere = Table.AddColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "Custom", each Text.PositionOf(Text.Lower([Payee]), Text.Lower([City])))
in
    CheckIfThere

Hi I am trying something similar but at a smaller scale.

I am looking to just extract the first letters of the post code

E6 9BZ = E

LE17 5ND = LE

Is there an easy way to do this in Power Query?

Hi SJ,

you can split your column by space " " and then add a column that references the first column and removes all numbers:

Text.Remove([Colum1], {"0".."9"}) 

Where "Column" has to be replaced with that name of your first column.

If you want to transform the existing column instead, you use a code line like this:

= Table.TransformColumns(#"NameOfYourPreviousStep",{{"Column1", each Text.Remove(_, {"1".."9"})}})

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

There are lots of strategies for doing these kinds of things in Power BI in both DAX and M code. The problem is that the format of your data is extremely poor and does not lend itself well to being parsed. I'll rack my brain on this one a little more, but I currently don't see it with varying numbers of delimiters and no real flag to key off of. Ugly.

Latest book!:

Here is a wonderfully hacky and fragile DAX approach. Will work on M approach next and see if I can get something better.

Start with column [BigUglyString] and create new columns:

SmallerBigUglyString = LEFT([BigUglyString],FIND(" GB",[BigUglyString]))
EvenSmallerBigUglyString = LEFT([SmallerBigUglyString],(FIND(" ",[SmallerBigUglyString],LEN([SmallerBigUglyString])-4)))
Location = MID([EvenSmallerBigUglyString],FIND(" ",[EvenSmallerBigUglyString],LEN([EvenSmallerBigUglyString]) - 11),LEN([EvenSmallerBigUglyString]) - FIND(" ",[EvenSmallerBigUglyString],LEN([EvenSmallerBigUglyString]) - 11))

This works with your sample data, the odds of it working with real data are probably slim to none.

Latest book!:

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.