Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

borlip
Advocate I
Advocate I

How could I copy reports from one designer file to another?

Is it possible?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I agree with @ashishrj but you *could* try to copy your PBIX file to a zip file and go into the Reports folder and copy the Layouts file

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
hjameelq
Helper I
Helper I

Sorry I am not following up with this solution, not sure how can copy a report from one project to another. I added my power BI file to zip but it did corrupt the file. So not sure if what I did is the workaround to this issue. I would appreciate your help with that!

Ons
Frequent Visitor

Same thing for me : editing the files in the zip corrupt the original file.

@borlip does it work for you ?

Does not work for me either...

The must be something special about the zip, because if I unzip a pbix file into a Folder and usw Windows Explorer - send to compressed file again, the file size is different. There must be a special version of zip (which is compatible in extraction) but maybe uses some other settings. 

Does anyone have an Idea howto Rezip a PBI File Sucessfully?

ashishrj
Power Participant
Power Participant

@borlip Why don't you create a copy of report (pbix) itself ! We can't copy reports since it is dependent on many factors like data source used, data connection, data model, measures, calculated columns and many more. 

Thanks!

Queries could be shared and copied. The same should apply to reports. It's not consistant.

We split reports into separate files with some common queries, but can't combine them now.

I agree with @ashishrj but you *could* try to copy your PBIX file to a zip file and go into the Reports folder and copy the Layouts file

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thanks! This is a great idea! I didn't realize that pbix file is a zip. I'll try this solution, as Layout is just a json file and I could copy only the required parts of it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors