Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

niklas3000
Helper I
Helper I

How can we make it easier for our users to set up a connection to a SSAS-cube via Analysis Services?

Hi!

We need to set up a solution where users can connect with power bi to the SSAS-cube that they choose.

It is a bit hard for them the choose the right source type, type the server name, and choose model. We aslo have both tabular and multi-cubes that are on two diffrent servers.

Is there a Users Freindly to allow the users to choose cube via a file? Or is there other ways that is easier than to set up a connection to a Analysis Services-connection?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @niklas3000

You may try to create a PBIT file as a template and share with them。

for example:

you can connect to a SSAS-cube via Analysis Services and select the related content,

then click File->Export->Power BI template to create a PBIT file.

You can share the pbit with them, and they don't need to choose the right source type, type the server name, and choose model.

If source or type or model has changed, you just need to recreate the pbit file and share with them.

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @niklas3000

You may try to create a PBIT file as a template and share with them。

for example:

you can connect to a SSAS-cube via Analysis Services and select the related content,

then click File->Export->Power BI template to create a PBIT file.

You can share the pbit with them, and they don't need to choose the right source type, type the server name, and choose model.

If source or type or model has changed, you just need to recreate the pbit file and share with them.

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks!

I thought about saving an pbix-file as a template, but this will work better, because: 1) no risk that users saves over the the template-file by mistake with the report they are making 2) i dont think that a template file will get outdated when new versions of pbi desktop are released.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors