Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Baskar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

How can i connect my Linked In and Twitt er in Power BI

Hi All,

How can i connect my Linked In and Twitt er in Power BI ?

like Facebook. Is there any connector available ?

Thanks.

@ankitpatira

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Baskar I am not sure about LinkedIn but Twitter provides REST APIs that you can use to connect from power bi desktop (via Web connector) and obtain data from your twitter account. Check out on twitter apis.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
AFarouk
Regular Visitor

To Connecting Power BI with Twitter API follow this tutorial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i88CBli0uQc

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Baskar I am not sure about LinkedIn but Twitter provides REST APIs that you can use to connect from power bi desktop (via Web connector) and obtain data from your twitter account. Check out on twitter apis.

There is no API for Linkedin and no PowerBI connector yet. I hope that Microsoft creates one.

The only thing you can do is export your current connections into a CSV file and import into PowerBI.

The real intersting piece, like seeing followers of a company page you administrate or members of a group you own is not possible at all at this point. I was hopeful something would be coming with the acquistion, but so far nothing.

Anonymous
Not applicable

There is a good discussion by Steve Howard on accessing REST APIs (inc. a Twitter example) at http://angryanalyticsblog.azurewebsites.net/index.php/2016/05/16/api-strategies-with-power-bi/

There is also REST API for LinkedIn - see https://developer.linkedin.com/docs/rest-api

But one point that Steve Howard's blog makes is that "Power BI cannot read a response returned to a callback URL and if the API you are using requires that “authentication flow” then it can’t be used with Power BI (well, that is not entirely true, but to prevent this blog from being 50 pages long, we will say it can’t). For instance, the LinkedIn API requires this flow so it is not something we can connect to from Power BI easily."

Per the blog, to make this type of data access easier, VOTE for OAuth protocol to be added as a first class authentication provider. Here is the link: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/13195278-oauth

Sorry, but I really think more along the lines of first class connectors like they exist for facebook or google analytics. I don't want to code my way into Linkedin. I think the whole notion of PowerBI is it to make it easy for business people to develop their own reports without asking the IT department.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@PatrickPilz,

You raise an interesting point and I think Power BI is an amazing tool that CAN make it easier for business people to develop reports, but we're at the start of a long road.  Once you connect to services like FaceBook or LinkedIn, anything bar very simple reports requires skills and experience (which CAN live in the business) in data extraction, modelling, transformation and analysis.

I think the nirvana of 'self-serve business intelligence' with drag-and-drop analytics on LinkedIn etc. is some time off.  For now, I'd prefer Microsoft focused on building up the basic toolkit first - e.g.  oauth to connect simply to any service.  And it would be easier for the community to help each other by sharing pieces of functionality - e.g. if someone built queries and visuals to analyse LinkedIn, we could simply include that somehow in our own solutions.

Baskar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi All,

How can i connect my Linked In and Twitt er in Power BI ?

Thanks.

@ankitpatira

Baskar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi All,

How can i connect my LinkedIn and Twitter in Power BI ?

Thanks.

@ankitpatira

Anonymous
Not applicable

hello ,

have you tried to connect facebook with power bi

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.