Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

naveedulislam
Frequent Visitor

How can I translate a sequesnce of strings in one column of a table using mapping from another table

I want to replace the column (Text) in one table (corpus) using the mapping in the second table (TransliterationTable. 
The "Text" column of the corpus table and TransliterationTable are given below respspectively:
Text    
yuwladu
jamiyEu
{lna~Asi
Symbol   Arabic
}   ئ
u   ُ
w   و
l   ل
a   َ
d   د
j   ج
m   م
y   ي
E   ع
{   ٱ
n   ن
~   ّ
A   ا
s   س
i   ِ
The end results should be:
Text    
يُولَدُ
جَمِيعُ
ٱلنَّاسِ
One of the solutions, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLrRlPh_ZFQ, appeared to work initially but when I applied changes, the file size grew to 15 GB and still no signs of ending iterations.
This function used the code:
(x as text) as text =>
let
    maxIterations = Table.RowCount(TranslitrationTable) ,
Iterations = List.Generate( () =>
    [Result = Text.Replace(x, TranslitrationTable[Symbol]{0}, TranslitrationTable[Arabic]{0}), Counter = 0],
        each [Counter] < maxIterations,
        each [Result = Text.Replace([Result], TranslitrationTable[Symbol]{Counter}, TranslitrationTable[Arabic]{Counter}),
                Counter = [Counter] +1], each [Result]),
                output = Iterations{maxIterations-1}
in
    output
So, I had to give up on this one. 
Due the file size (128,000 rows) the conversion is desired to be fast. I spent the whole day yesterday checking almost all similar solutions but none of them worked for me.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Sorry, I didn't pay attention to that. Please try this revised code - it uses an index and sort command to achieve the desired result (hopefully 😉 😞

let
    Source = corpus,
    TextToListToTable = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Custom", each Table.AddIndexColumn(Table.FromColumns({Text.ToList([Text])}), "Sort",0,1)),
    MergeWithTranslations = Table.AddColumn(TextToListToTable, "Custom.1", each Table.Join([Custom],"Column1", Translation, "Symbol")),
    CombineTranslations = Table.AddColumn(MergeWithTranslations, "Result", each Text.Combine(Table.Sort([Custom.1], {{"Sort", Order.Descending}})[Arabic], ""))
in
    CombineTranslations

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Your task can be performed with some simpler logic that doesn't need recursion:

let
    Source = YourTextTable,
    TextToListToTable = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Custom", each Table.FromColumns({Text.ToList([Text])})),
    MergeWithTranslations = Table.AddColumn(TextToListToTable, "Custom.1", each Table.Join([Custom],"Column1", Translations, "Symbol")),
    CombineTranslations = Table.AddColumn(MergeWithTranslations, "Result", each Text.Combine([Custom.1][Arabic], ""))
in
    CombineTranslations

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Thank you so muc. It almost worked, at least the transliteration part worked and it did work efficiently but I think thta since Arabic text is written right to left so the all the translatiterated words were shwoing in reverse order. I did some research and found a function, "Text.Reverse()". I used this as follows:

let
    Source = corpus,
    TextToTableToList = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Custom", each Table.FromColumns({Text.ToList([Text])})),
    MergeWithTranslations = Table.AddColumn(TextToTableToList, "Custom.1", each Table.Join([Custom], "Column1", Translation, "Symbol")),
    CombineTranslations = Table.AddColumn(MergeWithTranslations, "Result", each Text.Combine([Custom.1][Arabic], "")),
    ReverseText = Table.AddColumn(CombineTranslations, "ReverseOrder", each Text.Reverse([Result]))
in
    ReverseText

But it did result into unexpected results and the words got further messed up. 

I thought that perhaps reveral of the order of character needs to take place as the first  step before adding the first step. So I changed the code as below:

let
Source = corpus,
ReverseText = Table.AddColumn(Source, "ReverseOrder", each Text.Reverse([Text])),
ChangedToText = Table.TransformColumnTypes(ReverseText,{{"ReverseOrder", type text}}),
TextToTableToList = Table.AddColumn(ChangedToText, "Custom", each Table.FromColumns({Text.ToList([Text])})),
MergeWithTranslations = Table.AddColumn(TextToTableToList, "Custom.1", each Table.Join([Custom], "Column1", Translation, "Symbol")),
CombineTranslations = Table.AddColumn(MergeWithTranslations, "Result", each Text.Combine([Custom.1][Arabic], ""))
in
CombineTranslations

But it still did not give the desired results. I think that since I have been looking at M code for just a few days so it is difficult to wrap my head around at least for now.
I am adding the link to the .pbix which shows the precise results in a query, "corpusByPython" in "Text" column. These are the results I obtained by transforming the same Text column using Python dataframe manupulation.

While the Result column in the Result table shows the results obtained by using M code above as provided by @ImkeF.

corpus.pbix

Sorry, I didn't pay attention to that. Please try this revised code - it uses an index and sort command to achieve the desired result (hopefully 😉 😞

let
    Source = corpus,
    TextToListToTable = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Custom", each Table.AddIndexColumn(Table.FromColumns({Text.ToList([Text])}), "Sort",0,1)),
    MergeWithTranslations = Table.AddColumn(TextToListToTable, "Custom.1", each Table.Join([Custom],"Column1", Translation, "Symbol")),
    CombineTranslations = Table.AddColumn(MergeWithTranslations, "Result", each Text.Combine(Table.Sort([Custom.1], {{"Sort", Order.Descending}})[Arabic], ""))
in
    CombineTranslations

Thank you very much @ImkeF. The solution worked after making a very minor modification.

That is  by changing "Order.Ascending" to "Order.Ascending". 

Also, I learned a lot by trying to understand the suggested M code and then trying to modify it. It actually motivated me to resume studying, "M Is for (Data) Monkey: A Guide to the M Language in Excel Power Query." Thanks again.

Naveed

@naveedulislam @ImkeF

Following DAX might be close as well. Basically I turn each English word into a One Column table containing individual letters in rows and lookup related Arabic letters

File attached as well

Calcuated Column =
VAR length =
    LEN ( [Text] )
VAR temp =
    ADDCOLUMNS (
        ADDCOLUMNS (
            GENERATESERIES ( 1, length ),
            "English Letters", MID ( [Text], [Value], 1 )
        ),
        "Arabic Letters", CALCULATE (
            MIN ( Translation[Arabic] ),
            FILTER ( Translation, Translation[Symbol] = [English Letters] )
        )
    )
RETURN
    CONCATENATEX ( temp, [Arabic Letters] )

trans.png

Regards
Zubair

Please try my custom visuals

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.