Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

wpf_
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

How can I slice with a field that can represent two values?

So I have a table called 'managers', and a field named 'worklocation'.  Worklocation has a value of 'Location1', 'Location2', Location3', 'Location4', 'North', and 'South'.  For the managers that has worklocation 'North', they cover 'Location1' and 'Location2'.  The managers that has worklocation 'South', they cover 'Location3', and 'Location4'.  I want to use a slicer using 'Location1' - 'Location4' only, and if 'Location1' is selected, it shows all the managers in Location1 and all the Manager's in 'North'.  If Location2 is selected it shows all managers in Location2 and managers in North.  If Location3 is selected it shows all the managers in Location3 and all the managers in South.  If Location4 is selected it shows all the managers in Location4 and all the managers in South.  Hope someone can help. Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @wpf_ ,

According to your requirements, it can be achieved by creating a measure or calculated column. But need to provide test data (delete sensitive information) and expected results. I will answer for you as soon as possible.

Let me know immediately, looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Henry

sayaliredij
Super User
Super User

I have used some test data  

But you can below power query

let
Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlTSUcrJT04syczPM1SK1YlWMgKK+EBFjMAixkgixmAREyQRE7CIKVDEL7+oJAPMMwPygvNLQbxYAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Managers = _t, Worklocations = _t]),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Managers", Int64.Type}, {"Worklocations", type text}}),
#"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Changed Type","North","Location1;Location2",Replacer.ReplaceText,{"Worklocations"}),
#"Replaced Value1" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Replaced Value","South","Location3;Location4",Replacer.ReplaceText,{"Worklocations"}),
#"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.ExpandListColumn(Table.TransformColumns(#"Replaced Value1", {{"Worklocations", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter(";", QuoteStyle.None), let itemType = (type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true] in type {itemType}}}), "Worklocations")
in
#"Split Column by Delimiter"

Regards,

Sayali 

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help others find it more quickly.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Hi I don’t know power query.  Do you think I can just create a new column and have two values for that field?   How can you do it with measures or calculated column?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors