cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

How can I show the five latest entries in my report table? (Top 5)

I have a data table with columns for "City" and "DateAdded". The "City" column is just the name of the entry (Ohio, New York, Chicago etc.) and the "DateAdded" is a date (2017-01-09 09:06:34.863, 2016-03-16 16:00:29.000 etc.). 

I'm trying to build a report table where I can list five of the newest entries to display. I tried using the "DateAdded" column as a filter with the "Top N" filter type with the value "Top - 5" but it actually displays six values instead of five. This is because the last two "DateAdded" entries have identical values (both are '2016-01-17 00:00:00.000').

How could I limit my table to exactly five values? 

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Super User IV
Super User IV

Sounds like you need to investigate the RANKX DAX function.

---------------------------------------

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!

I have a NEW book! 
DAX Cookbook from Packt
Over 120 DAX Recipes!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi @carlosDash,

As you said
the last two "DateAdded" entries have identical values (both are '2016-01-17 00:00:00.000')

So for the last tow entries, which one would like to show in your table?

This function return the row that rank value =1, 2, 3, 4 and 5. Then rank value for the last two entires=5, so both of them will be show in your table.

Regards,

Charlie Liao

Highlighted

Hmm, that's a really good question and right now I can't think of another parameter to filter with. The only thing that comes to mind is maybe showing the entry which comes 'first' in the alphabet, but that's not really a proper rule to filter with and I don't know if that's even possible to begin with.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Community Conference

Microsoft Power Platform Communities

Check out the Winners!

secondImage

Create an end-to-end data and analytics solution

Learn how Power BI works with the latest Azure data and analytics innovations at the digital event with Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors