Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

carlosDash
Advocate V
Advocate V

How can I show the five latest entries in my report table? (Top 5)

I have a data table with columns for "City" and "DateAdded". The "City" column is just the name of the entry (Ohio, New York, Chicago etc.) and the "DateAdded" is a date (2017-01-09 09:06:34.863, 2016-03-16 16:00:29.000 etc.). 

I'm trying to build a report table where I can list five of the newest entries to display. I tried using the "DateAdded" column as a filter with the "Top N" filter type with the value "Top - 5" but it actually displays six values instead of five. This is because the last two "DateAdded" entries have identical values (both are '2016-01-17 00:00:00.000').

How could I limit my table to exactly five values? 

3 REPLIES 3
v-caliao-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @carlosDash,

As you said
the last two "DateAdded" entries have identical values (both are '2016-01-17 00:00:00.000')

So for the last tow entries, which one would like to show in your table?

This function return the row that rank value =1, 2, 3, 4 and 5. Then rank value for the last two entires=5, so both of them will be show in your table.

Regards,

Charlie Liao

Hmm, that's a really good question and right now I can't think of another parameter to filter with. The only thing that comes to mind is maybe showing the entry which comes 'first' in the alphabet, but that's not really a proper rule to filter with and I don't know if that's even possible to begin with.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Sounds like you need to investigate the RANKX DAX function.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.