Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

How can I share transforms and ETL logic across PBI desktop files?

I apologize if this has been answered but I don't know how to ask it on this forum to get my answer.

I have cases where I make PBI extracts from SQL sources and Snowflake. In those extracts, I have steps that are specific to those data sets that need to be shared across users in other PBI Files.

I have users taking my PBI files and then asking me to change business logic or transforms and then asking me to move all those steps into their own files because they are behind on versions.

Hence, that is one problem. How can I manage versions?

How can I manage measures that can be shared?

I saw on the PBI Sharepoint that you can use datasets. Is that the way a person can make their own PBI file but I can manage the ETL process?

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@asjonesThis is precisely  what I need. I'm not that fluent with the web platform so what we have been doing is sharing PBIX files. I want to share the data model and my end user get the data model with the ETL That I created for him. I can search the videos but let me know if you have any documents you think I should look at.

Here are a couple

Publish from Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Introduction to dataflows and self-service data prep - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Try to use Power BI dataset.😉

Based on the latest update of Power BI Desktop, version 2.88.802.0, published on 12/23/2020, you can try to connect to Power BI dataset using "DirectQuery" mode. Then, you can keep the original transforms and ETL logic and make new transforms.

For more details, please refer to these post:

DirectQuery for Power BI datasets and Azure Analysis Services (preview) | Microsoft Power BI Blog | Microsoft Power BI;

DirectQuery for Power BI datasets and Analysis Services. The composite model with Analysis Services. What is it and why it is a big deal? - RADACAD.

Best regards

Icey

If this post helps, then consider Accepting it as the solution to help other members find it faster.

mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Yes.  You can use Dataflows or Datasets for this.  If they will not need to make any further data transformations, Dataset is a good option.  If so, you will want to make a Dataflow instead (it is basically a query in the cloud, but builders can make further downstream transformations).

Note that if you go the dataset road, they will not be able to combine the data with other sources currently.  However, that is about to change with this month's release.  Composite models is expected in the December release (hopefully early next week).

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

asjones
Helper IV
Helper IV

Here area few videos i would suggest.... there are other examples but can't find them just yet
Shared & Certified datasets in Power BI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZoeT4akV5M

Sharing and Collaboration in Power BI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pij4gkznI2g

3 REASONS to use a single dataset for your Power BI reports

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH6aekIjcUI

Anonymous
Not applicable

Where could I find more information?

asjones
Helper IV
Helper IV

Could you instead make a shared Data Model with the trasnforamtions you needed? Seperating the data model from the visualizatoins is the suggested standard. There are a few vidieos on taht.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.