Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Guli
Helper I
Helper I

How can I set a default slicer, which works for the whole page.

I have a table, with many columns.( Here just an example data with 2 columns. )This table is used for creating many plots, and the ID is the slicer.

By default, when the user opens the report, there is no slicer chosen, therefore, all the data are exhibited in the plots. But that does not make any sense.

Guli_0-1596822425172.png

I wish by default, there is one of the options in the slicer(ID) can be selected, any of them would work. When the user opens the report, he could only see the results for one single ID.
Like this:

Guli_1-1596822532016.png

The data for creating the example above is like this:

Guli_2-1596822577677.png

I noticed there are some great solutions in the power bi community regarding this type of issue, but the case is a bit different from mine. my case is this slicer that used to set a default selection needs to be used for the whole page, not a single numerical variable.

Thank you for any suggestions!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @Guli ,

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly, but maybe changing the slicer type to single selection might be one approach.

image.png

Single select automatically selects the 1st member in the slicer.

Unfortunately, it's not possible to provide a "default" value, that then will be automatically selected. Single select and with this automatically selecting the first element is by far not "providing a default value", but it's better than nothing 🙂

Next to that, publishing a pbix with a value selected will keep this selection if a user opens the report inside an app.

Hopefully, this provides some new ideas on how to tackle your issue.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anand24
Super User
Super User

Hi @Guli ,

Select a value in the slicer and save the report with that selection and then share it with your user.

The report will always open in the last saved state. Hence, when you save the report with 1 slicer value selected, it will drive all the visualizations in the whole page related to that slicer and then that would be the default layout when user opens the report.

Give a thumbs up if this post helped you in any way and mark this post as solution if it solved your query !!!

TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @Guli ,

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly, but maybe changing the slicer type to single selection might be one approach.

image.png

Single select automatically selects the 1st member in the slicer.

Unfortunately, it's not possible to provide a "default" value, that then will be automatically selected. Single select and with this automatically selecting the first element is by far not "providing a default value", but it's better than nothing 🙂

Next to that, publishing a pbix with a value selected will keep this selection if a user opens the report inside an app.

Hopefully, this provides some new ideas on how to tackle your issue.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Wow, thank you @TomMartens , it actually works!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.