Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

MichelH

How can I set a default filter to the username of the logged in person

Most of our reports contain data of multiple team members.

So usually the first thing they have to do is select their name from a slicer. Kinda silly,...

Can I somehow create a default filter that is controlled by the logged in user, so using the USERNAME() or 

USERPRINCIPALNAME() functions?

I'm able to capture their names using a measure and some functions but so far I don't see how to use this as a default filter.

Thanks,
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the exact same issue - I really hope the Power BI Team will make this available eventually

v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @MichelH ,

Actually, measures cannot be used as a slicer in power bi currently.

For your requriement, I think that Row-Level-Security will be a good choice for you.

With dynamic RLS, we could achieve that show the specific data for the specific user when we share the report in power bi service.

Please have a good look at this blogs below to know how to set the Role in power bi desktop and add members in power bi service.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Power-BI-Dynamic-Row-Level-Security-Tips-to-get-it-w...

https://radacad.com/dynamic-row-level-security-with-power-bi-made-simple

In addition, you could refer to this document to understand what is RLS in power bi.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Cherry,

Thanks for your response, but it is required that team members can see each others data.

RLS will prevent this, if enabled.

Thats why I seek to use the username just for a "default" filter.

Seems that something like this should be possible (a very desirable feature at least)

Cheers,

Michel

Hi @MichelH 

Did you ever find an easy solution to this? If so can you share it?

I can't believe something so basic is missing from PBI.

RGI

Hi @RGI ,

Nope,

I was told to use RLS, which is not what I want here.

All I can see is a silly design choice to make this not work as expected.

The required functions are all there. 

And I was told such a feature is not required since PBI remembers the last filter choice made the person. 

So that works until the sales checks someone else their results.  😕

Michel

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.