Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

How can I re-publish a report and dataset to a different App Workspace?

I have a pbix file that publishes to the "My Workspace" section of Power BI Service. I want to move (or re-publish) everything related to this existing pbix doc to a new App Workspace that I set up with members of my team so we can collaborate on the report and dataset.

How can I:

a - move content from "My Workspace" to other workspaces?

(or)

b - Reconfigure the current pbix file to publish to another Workspace when I click "Publish" from PowerBI Desktop?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Solution:

After creating new workspaces, close PBI desktop and re-open. The new workspace should be made available to you when publishing the report

Details:
Originally, the only workspace I had was My Workspace - the default.

I had created two new workspaces while working on the report mentioned and when I tried to publish the report to the newly created workspaces, PowerBI desktop assumed it was going to My Workspace - probably because it hadn't detected the new ones.

I came back the next day and found that when I tried to publish the report again, I was asked to select which workspace I'd like to publish the report to.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Solution:

After creating new workspaces, close PBI desktop and re-open. The new workspace should be made available to you when publishing the report

Details:
Originally, the only workspace I had was My Workspace - the default.

I had created two new workspaces while working on the report mentioned and when I tried to publish the report to the newly created workspaces, PowerBI desktop assumed it was going to My Workspace - probably because it hadn't detected the new ones.

I came back the next day and found that when I tried to publish the report again, I was asked to select which workspace I'd like to publish the report to.

Anonymous
Not applicable

When I tried to import the original pbix file to the newly created workspace, I kept getting an error and was told to contact my administrator.

I believe I was getting the error because a live PowerBI dataset (hybrid) used by the pbix file. I tried importing other pbix files that had imported and DirectQuery datasets and they all worked fine.

Hi @Anonymous,

I'm afraid you can't do like that with the live connection to the Service. Please refer to the second to last item here.

So you need to copy or move the original dataset to the new workspace first.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

I'm afraid we can't move datasets across Apps for now.

But you can republish the file to the App Workspace that you can choose in the publish GUI.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.