Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

iamriz
Helper II
Helper II

How can I print Japanese Characters via Python Visual?

My data table contains one column of Japanese words, when I print this to a chart as data label using Python Visual, 3 rectangular characters ( ▯▯▯) will be printed instead. Kindly help how to print the JP characters properly. Thank you very much!

Excerpt of my Python Visual Script:

---

# dataset = pandas.DataFrame(1_ave, 1_slope, 顧客名)
# dataset = dataset.drop_duplicates()

# Paste or type your script code here:
import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
import json
import datetime
today = datetime.datetime.today()
current_month = today.month

fig, ax = plt.subplots(figsize=(18, 8)) # set chart size
ax.scatter(dataset["1_ave"], dataset["1_slope"], s=80, marker="s", color='r') #square
plt.xlabel('Average')
plt.ylabel('Slope')

ax.annotate("顧客名", (1, 1)) #Trying to print only one Japanese word here because putting all data will lead to script timeout

plt.show()

---

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@iamriz ,

This is not the issue in power bi, if you create a dataframe and run the code this issue also occurs. You may haven't configured the matplotlibrc, please download the .ttf font file and move the file to matplotlib/mpl-data/fonts/ttf then configure font.family, font.sans-serif and axes.unicode_minus like below:

font.family : sans-serif        
font.sans-serif : add the ttf file name here   
axes.unicode_minus : False

Finally run code below to reload the python environment:

from matplotlib.font_manager import _rebuild

_rebuild() #reload一下

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@iamriz ,

This is not the issue in power bi, if you create a dataframe and run the code this issue also occurs. You may haven't configured the matplotlibrc, please download the .ttf font file and move the file to matplotlib/mpl-data/fonts/ttf then configure font.family, font.sans-serif and axes.unicode_minus like below:

font.family : sans-serif        
font.sans-serif : add the ttf file name here   
axes.unicode_minus : False

Finally run code below to reload the python environment:

from matplotlib.font_manager import _rebuild

_rebuild() #reload一下

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks, @v-yuta-msft, sorry, my mistake I didn't check with pure python app using matplotlib.

Adding 

plt.rcParams['font.sans-serif'] = ['MS Gothic', 'sans-serif']
worked for me.
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Hi @amitchandak , I already tried str.encode() which returns b'\xe9\xa1\xa7\xe5\xae\xa2\xe5\x90\x8d', then when I decode it again, it will print the rectangle(garbage) characters. Actually, I thought that I do not need encoding and decoding because in Power BI data model, the JP characters perfectly show in utf-8 format. But I don't understand why it doesnt show up properly with Python Visual. Any advice? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.