Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

UsePowerBI
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

How can I keep using that sheet despite its name change?

Hello

When we load an xls file, there are several sheets that need to be processed.

How can I identify and use sheets if their name changes in the xls file?

For example, there is a sheet named Sheet_[DATE] where [DATE] is the current date and this sheet's name changes every day.

How can I keep using that sheet despite its name change?

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
v-gizhi-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi,

Please try to import data by choosing Tables instead of Sheets:

30.PNG

Best Regards,

Giotto Zhi

Thanks but how do I do that exactly?

When load the xls, it shows the sheets with their names, not Table1, Table2 etc.

Thanks 

Hi! the examples of table can be a solution. In order to have those tables in power bi "get data", first you have to go into the excel file, select the whole table you want to load and create a table in excel (You can do it with Ctrl+t). The "table" in excel is a concept of selected cells for a purpose. Once you have that you can check on the top menu to modify the default name for something you want. After that save the file and get it with power bi. You will see the tables like the example.

Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

I don't understand the process, what do you mean 'go into the excel file'? Where do I click CTRL+T? I clicked that on PowerBI main window and nothing happened. Can you describe please step by step?

Also, please note the data of the sheets won't be the same, it may have 100 rows or 110 rows or columns, etc.

This may show it better than my text. Try this in your excel file (just the first part untill you have your table)

https://www.contextures.com/xlExcelTable01.html

Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Thanks but I cannot edit the Excel file in any way and the whole purpose is to have it processed automatically in PowerBI without any manual processing. I should only be able to load it as a source to PowerBI with its web link.

Is there any other solution?

Also, I need to stress that the Excel file will change periodically, the sheet names will change and the content (number of rows/columns) will change.

Thanks!

Anyone please?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.