Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

How can I identify the rows that my Dax formula is actually calculating in the Total?

Hello,

I tried searching for this in the Forums but I might not be using the coorect key words.

When I have a complex model with many lines of data, I like creating a smaller model to ensure that my Dax shows the correct result.

Recently, with the help of the Forums I created a Dax that worked perfectly on my small model. When I use it into my larger model, my Dax Total shows a total value that is greater then the sum of it's rows by just $53k based on on figures in the 7.8 Billion range.

In Power Query I used the Trim function to make certain I have no spaces before and after any of my text data as well as my Lookup Tables (Dimensions)

I want to find the reason why my Dax Total is giving me 53k more. How can I do that?

6 REPLIES 6
v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

I'm glad to hear that you have resolved the issue.👏

Please consider Accept helpful replies as solutions (yours and @MURTAZA's) to make the thread closed, so that the other members find it more quickly. Thanks in advance!

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MURTAZA Each time I try proving a link to the original post which has all that information the forum either automatically erases it or it is erased by human intervention. 

@Anonymous 

By small model, do you mean summarized data of the big model or are you testing in a smaller dataset first?

If it's the same dataset and you are summarizing it into a new table, then the problem would be in how you write the DAX. Please copy-paste the DAX, so that I or someone can review it.

However, if you are importing in a filtered (small) dataset, to test your DAX, then it may have many different reasons. Without seeing the actual .pbix file, I won't be able to guide you exactly, but in general, make sure:

1. The column type is correct with correct decimal places (when the data is huge, the decimals can also affect the total)
  2. The data is cleaned properly.

To be honest it is very strange to know that the total is greater than the expected no. Based on my experience, it may be because of the DAX or an incorrect value in the data itself.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The Dax and sample can be found here, and like a stated this works perfectly, but when I apply it to my large model which I cannot share I am left with the Dax total not equaling the sum of the rows. 

Solved: Re: Summarize Dax (without summarizing text string... - Microsoft Power BI Community

MURTAZA
Resolver I
Resolver I

@AnonymousIt would be easy to understand the problem if you can share the DAX you are using and maybe sample data. Else it's difficult to identify the problem. Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello. Finally I had an inconsistancy in one of my lookup tables which was casuing the error. The Dax works just fine!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.