Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

johnyip
Super User
Super User

How can I hide a column in a matrix?

Can I literally hide,but not delete, columns in a matrix? It is just like hiding columns in Excel, but doesn't allow users to unhide them.

I have found a wordaround solution for the question (Solved: Hiding a column in Matrix but not in total - Microsoft Power BI Community), but doing it this way yields some drawbacks as shown in my illustrations.

1. Users can "unhide" the hidden columns by manually adjusting the widths of the hidden columns

2. The matrix has some weird spacing between columns as circled in red(rendered by the small width of the idden columns)

Hence, is there any ways for developers to really hide the columns of a matrix such that users cannot "unhide" them and no weird spacings between columns are shown?

I need to do that because of DAX issues and I have to keep those columns yet don't want users to see them for clarity / formatting requirement.

Before "hiding":

johnyip_0-1661140079609.png

After "hiding":

johnyip_1-1661140185305.png

Please mark my post as the solution if this answers your question!
Appreciate your Kudos !!
3 REPLIES 3
johnyip
Super User
Super User

I realized there are no responses for some days.

Is it right that, it is impossible to hide columns and partially change the font of "row" in a matrix?

Appreciate your Kudos !!
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@johnyip , Make both text and background color same and then make with 0, even if the user change width they will not be able to see anything

But even if so, how to?  The quarter column I shown is in "Rows" section, and it seems to me that the font settings of "Rows" are global: I cannot just change the font of column "Quarter".

And in my another report, the column year is an issue too, because year is a 4-digit number and not being able to adjust the font size, makes the width of the total row become unnecessarily wide.

johnyip_0-1661144692993.png

johnyip_0-1661145074072.png

Appreciate your Kudos !!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.