Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rkammerer
Regular Visitor

How can I get the last value of a column in my dataset?

Hello,

I have a pricing database with different products, but the last value of some of them does not necessarily match with the last date of the dataset.

How can I show the last price for the columns that doesn't match to the last date? (otherwise is easy, just using lastdate() function as a filter in the calculate function).

I tried using the lastnonblank() function with no success. (maybe I'm using it wrong?)

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
KHorseman
Community Champion
Community Champion

Perhaps you could add an index column to your table that runs from 1 to X. Then you could CALCULATE(LASTNONBLANK(Table[Column], 1), FILTER(ALL(Table), Table[Index] = MAX(Table[Index])))

I haven't tested it but off the top of my head that should always return the value in literal last row in Table[Column] no matter what filter context you're in. If you want filter context to restrict that column just remove the ALL().

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Hi KHorseman,

Thanks for solution. It works for me.

v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @rkammerer

In DAX, the LastNonBlank() function will not take the sort order in column, we can't directly take the last value in a column when specifying a static non blank value (like "1") as second argument in this function. Please see:

LASTNONBLANK and FIRSTNONBLANK functions work with any column #dax #powerpivot #ssas #tabular

Alternative use of FIRSTNONBLANK and LASTNONBLANK

So in this scenario, I think you need to get use the price as measure to get the last non blank date:

LASTNONBLANK (
            'Date'[Date],
            CALCULATE ( SUM ('table'[Price] ) )
        )

Then compare with the lastdate().

Regards,

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

MAX?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.