Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

speedramps
Super User
Super User

How can I force a carriage return between the Month and Year on the x-axis please?

How can I force a carriage return between the Month and Year on the x-axis please?

I want the x-axis on my graph to look like this

Jan          Feb        Mar       Apr        May     Jun
2020      2020      2020      2020     2020    2020

But it looks like this

Jan          Feb 2002        Mar       Apr        May 2020     Jun 
2020                             2020      2020                           2020

I have tried using “cr” in the power query.    For example mmmcryyyy =   [month]   &   “#(cr)”  &  Text.From [year]

Which works ok in the power query table, but does not enforce the carriage return on the graph x-axis.

I sometimes use UNICHAR(10) in DAX for page headings, but can't use a DAX measure for a X-axis. 

Many thanks for sharing your ideas.

3 REPLIES 3
v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi , @speedramps 

Based on my research, it is not supported yet currently. You can vote for this idea and add your comments there to make this feature coming sooner. 

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/14528184-format-date-on-visuals-x... 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

try unichar(10)  or newline

month year = month & unichar(10)  & year

https://blog.crossjoin.co.uk/2017/04/11/the-dax-unichar-function-and-how-to-use-it-in-measures-for-d...

Appreciate your Kudos. In case, this is the solution you are looking for, mark it as the Solution.
In case it does not help, please provide additional information and mark me with @

Thanks. My Recent Blogs -Decoding Direct Query - Time Intelligence, Winner Coloring on MAP, HR Analytics, Power BI Working with Non-Standard TimeAnd Comparing Data Across Date Ranges
Connect on Linkedin

Thank you for trying to help but CR and UNICHAR(10) does not insert a carriage return in a graph x-axis. Does it?

You can create a Power Query column in M
For example mmmcryyyy = [month] & “#(cr)” & Text.From [year]

Or a calculated column using dax
For example mmmcryyyy = [month] & UNICHAR(10) & Text.From [year]

Both will insert a carriage return in a table or card visual.

For example

Sep

But they will not insert a carriage return in a graph x-axis.
For example Sep 2018

If the width of the graph is adjuted then some of the months warp and other dont. 
So you get this awful mixture on the x-axis.

Capture.JPG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.