cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Helper IV
Helper IV

How can I find the 5 most recent prices in a dataset?

I have a dataset in which I need to find the 5 most recent prices and display them in a table in Power BI. Here is a sample:

ItemDatePrice
Car1/1/20201
Car

1/2/2020

Car1/3/20205
Car1/4/20203.5
Car1/5/20204
Car1/6/20206

I would like to show 4.5, 5, 3.5, 4, and 6 in a table because those prices correspond to the 5 most recent dates. This will, of course, apply to multiple items, but this is a sampling.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @pbiuser2 ,

Try it:

Capture.PNG

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Ricardo

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @pbiuser2 ,

Is this problem solved?

If it is solved, please always accept the replies making sense as solution to your question so that people who may have the same question can get the solution directly.

If not, please let me know.

Best Regards,
Icey

Super User III
Super User III

Hi @pbiuser2 ,

Try it:

Capture.PNG

Ricardo

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

@camargos88, this solved it! Thank you very much. I was able to add my fields to a Matrix and, with a few adjustments, create the desired result.

Super User III
Super User III

@pbiuser2 use TOPN function, read this post.

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution.

Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

@parry2k , thank you for the link. I have heard of both the RANK and TOPN functions, but I am unsure how to apply them in this scenario. They have always given me a bit of trouble.

@pbiuser2 that post clearly defined the steps, and I think you should be able to follow thru it.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution.

Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

@parry2k , I do appreciate the steps you sent and love Russo's work, but a post like this from an advanced DAX guru is only clear if (1) your use-case matches his closely (e.g., a Sum of values similar to sales), or (2) you have an inkling about how ISINSCOPE, CALCULATETABLE, ALLSELECTED, and the RANKX functions are operating in the formulae provided and also have a dataset that is aligned with this scenario.

I do not have either and have been unable to implement the steps listed. For one thing, it is quite hard if one does not know what to use in his own dataset to replace the fields in the DAX formulas.

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

Congratulations!

We are excited to announce the Power BI Super Users!

Wave Release 2

Check out the updates in Power BI.

Overview of Power BI 2020 release wave 2!

Microsoft Ignite

Microsoft Ignite

Join digitally, March 2–4, 2021 to explore new tech that's ready to implement. Experience the keynote in mixed reality through AltspaceVR!

secondImage

The largest Power BI virtual conference

100+ sessions, 100+ speakers, Product managers, MVPs, and experts. All about Power BI. Attend online or watch the recordings.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors