Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Jaxidian
Frequent Visitor

How can I do a Top N by Date in a Table?

Let's say I have a few visualizations of accounts (sales, profits, etc.) but I also want to have a Table visualization that shows the Top 10 accounts with contracts expiring soon (let's say the AccountExpirationDate is actually on the Account table in the database to keep this easy). How do I tell it to show only the top 10 accounts that are expiring within this table?

Every time I drag the date into the Top N "By value" filter box, it wants to count the dates rather than using that exact date value as the "by value" field.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Jaxidian

Please made a double check of this:

1. Do you have the latest version of PBI Desktop? If No, Please download the latest version of Power BI Desktop. January Update.

2. Your column Expiration Date is Date Type.?

Lima - Peru

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Vvelarde
Community Champion
Community Champion

hi @Jaxidian

Try with this TopN (Bottom)

TopN.png

Lima - Peru

Hi @Vvelarde,

Thank you for that suggestion. I've tried that but the problem is that I cannot select "Earliest xxx" or "Latest xxx" (I assume that's the other option) because it's trying to aggregate my dates by counting them. You're somehow accomplishing something that I'm missing to get to your screenshot with "Earliest" as an option for the Dates.

pbitop.png

@Jaxidian

Please made a double check of this:

1. Do you have the latest version of PBI Desktop? If No, Please download the latest version of Power BI Desktop. January Update.

2. Your column Expiration Date is Date Type.?

Lima - Peru

@Vvelarde,

The data type is datetime but the update was the problem. I was still on the Nov release. Just installed the Jan release and the problem has been solved!

Thank you for the help!! 🙂

-Shane

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.