Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How can I display images from SharePoint Online List in PowerBI Report?

Hello Together
does anyone know how I can display the full images from my SharPoint Online List? With this solution "Retrieve attachment from SharePoint online list" I see the images as broken-image-symbol... is there another solution for that?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

first step - extract the URL from the list item (in this case the column is called [Pic])

let
    Source = SharePoint.Tables("https://xxx.sharepoint.com/teams/yyyGroup", [Implementation="2.0", ViewMode="All"]),
    Link = Source{[Id="list id here"]}[Items],
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Link, "Custom", each [Pic][serverUrl] & [Pic][serverRelativeUrl])
in
    #"Added Custom"

That gives you the absolute image URL.  Now you can decide if you want to try and display it live (likely resulting in the broken link), or if you want to incorporate the image into your dataset (preferable). This blog has details on how to achieve that in general: Chris Webb's BI Blog: Storing Large Images In Power BI Datasets Chris Webb's BI Blog (crossjoin.co.u...

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @Anonymous ,

Please refer to the following blog to see if it helps you.

COMPLETE GUIDE TO EMBED IMAGES IN POWER BI REPORTS (PART I) 

1. Open Power BI desktop 
  2. Click on Enter Data 
  3. Now paste SharePoint image URLs with names and descriptions.

If I have misunderstood your meaning, please provide more details.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Polly

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @v-rongtiep-msft 

i also tried this solution last week (all three parts) but this solution only works with the source option "Sharepoint Folder". This solution requires a "Content" column (binary data) which is not created in the "Sharepoint Online list" during the query... 

first step - extract the URL from the list item (in this case the column is called [Pic])

let
    Source = SharePoint.Tables("https://xxx.sharepoint.com/teams/yyyGroup", [Implementation="2.0", ViewMode="All"]),
    Link = Source{[Id="list id here"]}[Items],
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Link, "Custom", each [Pic][serverUrl] & [Pic][serverRelativeUrl])
in
    #"Added Custom"

That gives you the absolute image URL.  Now you can decide if you want to try and display it live (likely resulting in the broken link), or if you want to incorporate the image into your dataset (preferable). This blog has details on how to achieve that in general: Chris Webb's BI Blog: Storing Large Images In Power BI Datasets Chris Webb's BI Blog (crossjoin.co.u...

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Keep in mind that the Power BI service needs to be able to access your Sharepoint list in order to retrieve the images. Generally you do NOT want to give them that permission.

A workaround is to force the sharepoint connection through an On-premise gateway even though technically that is not necessary.

The best option would be to incorporate the images into your Power Query data source pull instead. There are articles that describehow to chop up images into 32K chunks, and then how to stitch them back together in Power BI visuals.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.