Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How can I create a timeline with the amount of times records appear? (not numbers)

I have a column with names and another column with timestamps (dates and times next to it)

I wish there was a way to create a timeline that shows me the amount of times ANY name appears within those dates. 

For example:
On 2nd May we had 2 names: John and Lisa
On 3rd May we had 3 names: Mike, Darryl and Lisa
On 4th May we had 1 name: Diego

I want a timeline that shows me 2nd May = 2, then 3rd May = 3, then 4th May = 1

I tried creating a new measure that counts the number of names on the list and associating it with the timeline chart, but it doesn work  😞

Is it possible to do this? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you want to show the total amount of names regardless if they are appearing multiple times on the same date, a simple measure like this would do:
Measure = count(Table[names])

If you want the count of unique names, then:
Measure = DistinctCount(Table[names])

To show this in a timeline, you simply drag the Date collumn from your Calendar table to the X-axis of the graph, and then your measure to the Y-axis of the graph.

If this doesn't work, then make sure there's a relationship created between your Calendar and the Names Table.

Let me know if this helps 🙂

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you want to show the total amount of names regardless if they are appearing multiple times on the same date, a simple measure like this would do:
Measure = count(Table[names])

If you want the count of unique names, then:
Measure = DistinctCount(Table[names])

To show this in a timeline, you simply drag the Date collumn from your Calendar table to the X-axis of the graph, and then your measure to the Y-axis of the graph.

If this doesn't work, then make sure there's a relationship created between your Calendar and the Names Table.

Let me know if this helps 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

At the end I think it was only an issue of my date being formatted incorrectly. 

I finally managed to fix this. 

Thank you very much for the help 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.