Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

shds
Advocate I
Advocate I

How can I create a same time last year column in Query Editor?

In the Power BI Desktop Query Editor I created an Unpivoted table based on certain attributes (columns to rows) which gives me correct values in a separate column. 

What I would like to do is create another column called "LastYear" which takes the row's Datetime and looks up the Value of the same date last year.

The PARALLELPERIOD expression doesn't seem to be giving the right results and I cannot get it to work in a Custom Column.

Here's what I tried for a calculated column in Power BI Desktop:

LastYear = CALCULATE(SUM('Table1'[Value]); PARALLELPERIOD('Table1'[Datetime]; -1; year))

Putting this formula in a Custom Column in Query Editor it first tells me there are no syntax errors found, but once I try to insert the column then it keeps saying "Expressions.Error: The name 'CALCULATE' wasn't recognized. Make sure it's spelled correctly.'

What am I doing wrong?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mike_honey
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

The Query Editor does not use DAX syntax.  Instead it uses the "Power Query Formula Language", also called "M" or "PQL".

Here's the link to it's formula doco:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/library/mt253322?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

For your scenario, I would try something like this in your Custom Column:

= Date.AddYears ( [Datetime] , -1 )

Then to use that to "Lookup" the previous value, I would use a Merge to the same query - it should show as Table1 (Current). In the Merge definition, if your Custom Column is callend Datetime -1Y, then I would choose that column in the top table and Datetime in the bottom Table1 (Current).

Then I would expand the Value column from the resulting NewColumn.  The Expand button will be in the table header row, just to the right of NewColumn.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
mike_honey
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

The Query Editor does not use DAX syntax.  Instead it uses the "Power Query Formula Language", also called "M" or "PQL".

Here's the link to it's formula doco:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/library/mt253322?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

For your scenario, I would try something like this in your Custom Column:

= Date.AddYears ( [Datetime] , -1 )

Then to use that to "Lookup" the previous value, I would use a Merge to the same query - it should show as Table1 (Current). In the Merge definition, if your Custom Column is callend Datetime -1Y, then I would choose that column in the top table and Datetime in the bottom Table1 (Current).

Then I would expand the Value column from the resulting NewColumn.  The Expand button will be in the table header row, just to the right of NewColumn.

Thanks Mike, that pointed me in the right direction!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.