Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How can I create a relationship between rows in one table and multiple columns in another table?

Hello,

This doesn't have to be a relationship, but I presume, a measure would solve it as well. To clarify what I'm doing, I'm adding two example tables that I came up. Finally, to be clear, my whole report is working fine, and unpivoting columns unfortunately breaks my other measures.

Table1:

ContractSportspersonNationalitySalary
TemporaryMessiArgentina97M
Full TimeRonaldoPortugal70M
Short TermNeymarBrazil76M

Table2:

Income TypeMessiRonaldoNeymar
Modelling20M35M10M
Construction5M2M1M
Influencer200K500K1M

I want to ensure, for example, if someone clicks on Argentina, it shows both incomes from the regular salary and side-jobs. 

Thanks, 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
TheoC
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

In Power Query, duplicate Table 2 and unpivot columns so that the names of the players are in rows. You can then link Table 1 to Table 3, and recreate measures as necessary. 

Hope this helps.

Theo

If I have posted a response that resolves your question, please accept it as a solution to formally close the post.

Also, if you are as passionate about Power BI, DAX and data as I am, please feel free to reach out if you have any questions, queries, or if you simply want to connect and talk to another data geek!

Want to connect?www.linkedin.com/in/theoconias

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
TheoC
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

In Power Query, duplicate Table 2 and unpivot columns so that the names of the players are in rows. You can then link Table 1 to Table 3, and recreate measures as necessary. 

Hope this helps.

Theo

If I have posted a response that resolves your question, please accept it as a solution to formally close the post.

Also, if you are as passionate about Power BI, DAX and data as I am, please feel free to reach out if you have any questions, queries, or if you simply want to connect and talk to another data geek!

Want to connect?www.linkedin.com/in/theoconias

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @TheoC 

I was hesitant to do this, because I have to create a number of new measures, which I know, I will have issues with. In fact, one of my measures is already failing, I'm getting a blank calculation. I'm trying to calculate the total gains per year. What do you think is going wrong here?

Unpivotted Table = CALCULATE(SUMX('Table1', 'Table1'[Year] = "2021"), Table1'[Player] = "Messi" || Table1'[Player] = "Ronaldo" || Table1'[Player] = "Neymar")  

Or, do you have other recommendations for my initial question?

Many thanks in advance, 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Oops! I've managed to solve it, thanks to your support @TheoC 
As reference to someone else looking for info, I changed my measure with SUM and FILTER. Created relationships, and now it's working.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.