Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DSKinCO
Frequent Visitor

How can I add a YTD Avg data point to a line chart?

I am totally new to Power BI. I am trying to move/replicate charts that are used for a dashboard, that are currently produced in Excel. In Excel I can have the monthly data laid out in columns titled Jan - Dec with a 13th column named Avg and have this contain a YTD average which is then displayed to the right of the monthly section on the chart. Here is the Excel chart:

YTD Avg - Excel.png

I'd like to do the same in Power BI but can't figure out how to get the data into the same chart in its own space to the right. I did create two charts in Power BI I placed them side-by-side, I would like a single chart with the monthly data and the YTD avg displayed. Here are how the two charts look in Power BI:

YTD Avg - Power BI.png

Again, these are two separate charts, with data for both current and previous year, and I need to put them into one chart.  I need to recreate this for about 40 different data sets/charts to go into a final dashboard.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions! 

3 REPLIES 3
v-cherch-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @DSKinCO 

It seems you may create two measures and drag them to values of line chart.Then modify the 'shapes' as below.Attached a simplified sample file.

YTD = TOTALYTD(SUM('Table'[Value]),'Table'[Date])

a1.png

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Cherie Chen
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank  for responding but sorry, this is not what I am looking to do.  I am not looking to have a point on the main part of the chart for YTD for each month.  If you look at the Excel chart I included, you will see a single pair of plotted points off to the far right of the chart.  This is the YTD averages for the two years plotted, and where I want them.  The Chart shown form Power BI is actually two charts one for the main data and one for the YTD Averages for the two years.  I'd like to know how I can combined these into one chart instead of overlaying two charts in Power BI.

Hi @DSKinCO 

Here are a couple of decent articles on forecasting models in Power BI.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/describing-the-forecasting-models-in-power-view/

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/introducing-new-forecasting-capabilities-in-power-view-for-...

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Cherie Chen
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.