Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

How are theme colours assigned to series on a line chart visualisation?

I have a report with 20-30 line charts. Each chart has mutliple series - selectable via a slicer.

What I'm trying to understand is how PBI decides which colour to assign to which slicer value? I'm using a custom json template and it seems to cycle through the colours in order, but I've no idea which series will get which colour - I thought it picked the first slicer value alphabetically but I've seen this change and now am really confused..

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous ,

v-xuding-msft_0-1597631005513.png

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/desktop-report-themes#how-report-theme-colors-stick-with-your-reports

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , It will assign in sequence. Conditional formatting can change/fix the color. But  not applicable for many visuals

Anonymous
Not applicable

What sequence?

Hi @Anonymous ,

v-xuding-msft_0-1597631005513.png

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/desktop-report-themes#how-report-theme-colors-stick-with-your-reports

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
pranit828
Community Champion
Community Champion

HI @Anonymous 

The color is assigned from the theme you have selected in power BI.

Alternatively, you can change the color in the format section of the chart.

Did I resolve your issue? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos, Press the thumbs up button!!

Regards,
Pranit

PBI_SuperUser_Rank@1x.png

Hope it resolves your issue? 
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Appreciate your Kudos, Press the thumbs up button!!
Linkedin Profile
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks but I don't think you're understanding my question: I am asking which potential slicer selection get which colour?

For exmaple, if I have 20 peoples' names in the slicer, and I click on 'John' - which line colour does John get?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.