Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

dub
Frequent Visitor

How To Get Data From Multiple Tables inside one Column?

Hello everyone,

I am trying to solve this for a while now. If anyone can help i will be very much greatful.

I need to get data from multiple tables inside another table's column.

I tried LOOKUPVALUE() but it can take data only from one table. It somehow needs a loop which will dynamicaly choose a table and column to look at. (The column name is the same for all tables).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft@Greg_Deckler

Thank you for the answers!

The problem is that i have much more tables involved. But i managed to get what i need by appending all the one row tables into one big table, and then use LOOKUPVALUE to pull the desired column values based on matching Ids.

Thank you both for your contribution.

BR

Dusan

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Need more details on this: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

CONCATENATE?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thank you Smoupre,

I tried thisColumn = CONCATENATE() which returns a string (in my case a table and column name) - f.ex. 'Table[Number]' - but what i need is a value.

SUM('thisColumn') would do the work, but it returns an error "The function SUM cannot work with value of type String".

Is there any function or DAX thing to get the expression of a String? Or any other Idea?

Thank you for your help.

Dusan

VALUE will turn a string into a numeric value if possible.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee634584.aspx

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

MergedData = CONCATENATE(CONCATENATE("'";CONCATENATE([TableName];"'"));"[Number]")

This is my formula.

'TableName' is a column from current table containg names of my desired tables. Let's say table names are Table1, Table2,...Table10.

Basically, I need a number from the columns Table1[Number] and Table2[Number] ... and Table10[Number] - (these tables have only 1 row)

My formula returns a string 'Table1'[Number], 'Table2'[Number] ... 'Table10'[Number]'

But the formula

VALUE(CONCATENATE(CONCATENATE("'";CONCATENATE([Table1];"'"));"[Number]"))

Returns an error "Cannot convert value '''Table1'[Number] of type Text to type Number."

Can you understand? Or maybe i should create a pbi example file?

Thank you very much for your time.

Dusan

Hi @dub,

From your description, each table has [Number] column which has one value, you want to concatenate those column values in one table, right? 

In your scenario, assume Table2, Table3 and Table4 have Number column, you can try to create a calculated column in the table Table2 use DAX below: 

ConcatenateCol = CONCATENATE(CONCATENATE('Table2'[Number],CONCATENATE(",",MAX('Table3'[Number]))),CONCATENATE(",",MAX('Table4'[Number])))

Please take a look at attached pbix file. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft@Greg_Deckler

Thank you for the answers!

The problem is that i have much more tables involved. But i managed to get what i need by appending all the one row tables into one big table, and then use LOOKUPVALUE to pull the desired column values based on matching Ids.

Thank you both for your contribution.

BR

Dusan

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.