Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How Power BI relation work?

Hi,

It is different from my understandings on relational DB. Need helps on understanding the Power BI relationship

I have a small example with just two tables

Table A

p1.png

Table B

p2.png

Their relationship

p3.png

I would like to count the remark by IP. Presented them with a matrix

p4.png

p5.png

Even I just select count() on the remark, the result seemed like a count() distinct. Also, the sum is not correct. What I expected was:

p6.png

I got this with merge queries

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Might be wrong, but pretty sure it's the same result as a relational database. What you are seeing is that for IP = 1 in Table A, this essentially matches 2 rows in Table B, A and B. So, IP 1 has associated values of A and B in Table 1. There are two rows in Table B that match A and B. Seems like what you are after is more or less based on the cartesian product of the two tables, not sure of your join type. Multiple ways to do this. The simplest way would be just to use a COUNTROWS. I mean, if you want to count each row in Table A as an "instance" then why complicate matters? Makes no sense.

I mean, you don't *really* have two Remarks for IP = 1, ID = A, you have one remark, M1. Now, if you had another A reponse that was something like M4 and you had an M1 for A as well, that might make some amount of sense there.

Anyway, just guessing because not sure of the business scenario behind this.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
tvaishnav
Helper IV
Helper IV

To give you a gist,

Relation in power BI sets the direction of filtering. This filtering will happen over the columns that are related. 

Btw, I see that you are using bidirectional relation. In general, it is not a good practice because it can cause ambiguity in the data model.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@tvaishnav 

Thanks,  I am fully aware the potential problem of bidirectional relation. I can get what I want with the Merage Query and don’t even need to activate the relation between A and B. I just want to learn more about relation inside Power BI.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Might be wrong, but pretty sure it's the same result as a relational database. What you are seeing is that for IP = 1 in Table A, this essentially matches 2 rows in Table B, A and B. So, IP 1 has associated values of A and B in Table 1. There are two rows in Table B that match A and B. Seems like what you are after is more or less based on the cartesian product of the two tables, not sure of your join type. Multiple ways to do this. The simplest way would be just to use a COUNTROWS. I mean, if you want to count each row in Table A as an "instance" then why complicate matters? Makes no sense.

I mean, you don't *really* have two Remarks for IP = 1, ID = A, you have one remark, M1. Now, if you had another A reponse that was something like M4 and you had an M1 for A as well, that might make some amount of sense there.

Anyway, just guessing because not sure of the business scenario behind this.

Latest book!:

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @Greg_Deckler 

You mentioned “for IP = 1 in Table A, this essentially matches 2 rows”, it matched two distinct id, but it matched 3 rows.

I tested in PostgreSQL with inner join

postgres=# select * from a;
id|ip
A|1
A|1
B|1
B|2
B|2
C|3
(6 rows)

postgres=# select ip, count(remark)
postgres-# from a inner join b on a.id = b.id
postgres-# group by ip;
ip|count
2|2
3|1
1|3
(3 rows)

Relationships are not inner joins.

Table A, IP = 1 has two associated values A and B. This matches 2 rows, the A and B rows in Table B. This is where the 2 comes from.

Relationships are relationships, they are what they are. If you want more control over join types, use Power Query Merge query, this provides the option of choosing what type of join you want.

I think your point of confusion is addressed in the following blog article: https://nisalbi.blogspot.com/2018/04/demystify-joins-in-power-bi.html

Latest book!:

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.