Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

CraigBlackman
Helper III
Helper III

How Do i correctly calculate the sum of a column of percentages?

Hi All,

I have a simple table with rows which are days of the month. Two columns Sales for each day from 2015 and a second column for 2014. 

I want to calcuate the percentage change, which i can do on a row to row basis no problem.

The issue is that when that percentage column is sumed, it is incorrectly calulcating the total percentage cange, its adding each row together so i am getting very high results like 1423% increase when the actual is something like 10.45% for example.

I cannot figure out the correct DAX formula to correct this. Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Craig

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ashishrj
Power Participant
Power Participant

@CraigBlackman You can use different DAX (Data Analysis Expression) functions to achieve your result

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
willz06jw
Helper II
Helper II

I found that my problem was that when I created the object, I created it as a 'New Column' instead of a 'New Measure'.  

This caused it to add the percentages for each row (since there was a percentage created for each row, because it was a 'column' in the actual data).

willz06jw
Helper II
Helper II

I have the exact same problem.  Of course, the answer given above gives no help.  How did you resolve the issue?

ashishrj
Power Participant
Power Participant

@CraigBlackman You can use different DAX (Data Analysis Expression) functions to achieve your result

andre
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

create a new measure

Pct = divide(sum(tableName[columnA]), sum(tableName[columnB]))

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.